All the things you ever wanted to know about characters from Medallion. Spoilers ahead.
The heroine. Ruler of her people, but horribly scarred by the loss of her innocence at a young age.
- Age-Appropriate Angst - When she was younger, she lost everyone in her immediate family. She still feels terrified of being abandoned.
- Be All My Sins Remembered
- Berserk Button - Calling her "Andreya", "Your Majesty", or any other honorific. Also, insulting her family or (God help you) Anshi.
- The Chains of Commanding
- Chaste Hero - she's asexual.
- The Chosen One - Her people consider her this, as she's descended directly from their greatest leader who established the matriarchal monarchy.
- Establishing Character Moment: her first conversation with Melane, when she refuses to take her advisor's advice and says she'll ignore what her subjects think and do what she wants.
- Fatal Flaw: Dreya's very, very bad at ignoring insults and taunts.
- Humble Pie
- Mini Dress Of Power - It reaches to her knees, but in a culture where long skirts are the norm for royalty it's as mini as you can get.
- Real Women Never Wear Dresses - Averted since the majority of the book has her in a dress.
- Rebellious Queen - At least until the midpoint of the story. Thankfully she has Melane to help her out.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni - Red to Anshi's blue. She's the one who's always off to save someone.
- Royal Blood - Well, she's a queen.
- Sibling Team - With Anshi.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask. She was never trained to deal with grief brought on by the deaths of her loved ones, so she refuses to trust anyone. She grows out of it.
A refugee experiment-gone-wrong who literally runs into Dreya.
A Quirlwing juvenile who originally acts as a guide but sticks around for the adventure.
A friend to Tamox, and the first Xarn Dreya ever meets.
Kespa (also known as Cesla Kahn)
- Ambition Is Evil: How she got to be the villain of the piece.
- Big Bad
- Combat Stilettos: Subverted. She wears high heels... at home, to announce her arrival to her servants. She's got a pair of combat boots for practical use.
- Evil Redhead
- Flaw Exploitation: She uses Dreya's obsession with revenge against all wrongs to distract her.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Usurped the throne of Norigoth and titled herself Queen of the Realm
- Subverted somewhat in that she's not technically ruler of anything - yet.
- Angst? What Angst? - She lost her best friend Mayara to Kespa. The loss is never mentioned, probably because she's busy caring for said friend's daughter.
- Badass Bookworm - She was caretaker of the elven library, making her the most educated of any of the cast. She declines to join in the final battle, but she has scars from the Myrl War
- Girl Friday - To Dreya's Crusoe.
- Hysterical Woman - Occurs when she realizes her daughter wasn't really dead.
- The Ophelia - Partially. She was mentally fragile, but wasn't truly ill.
- Back-to-Back Badasses - With his daughter, Anshi.
- Badass Cape - He wears one. And he's awesome.
- Four-Star Badass - He's the Captain of the Guard, which in the Medallion universe puts him in complete control of every soldier in the Guard and makes him subordinate only to Dreya herself.
- Papa Wolf - Do. NOT. Touch. His. Daughter.