open/close all folders
Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano (Japanese), Gabriel Regojo (English)The male protagonist, who has a sour relationship with his family. Has his ordinary high school life interrupted by Mui Aiba turning him and his friends into magicians.
- Accidental Kiss: With Mui in the story's beginning, leading to much tension.
- The Beard: Pretends to date Kurumi to drive her unwanted chasers away.
- Big Brother Instinct: Stems mostly from his poor relationship with his own little brother; he tries to do better with others.
- Cain and Abel: Abel to Gekkou's Cain. They have a hostile relationship and although both of them have issues with their mother Gekko tried to kill her!
- Combat Clairvoyance: His magic enables him to prediect his opponent's movements. Because he's, strictly speaking, not casting magic on his opponent, he can use it without penalty in the muggle world.
- Cool Sword: His Aspect, "Twilight", is a black and purple sword that can fire magic bullets. He later renames her Towa, or Eternity.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: He eventually begins to have psychic visions of the sort that are said to be 100% accurate.
- Idiot Hair: Has one strand out hair standing out, but not as prominent as Mui's or Kurumi's, and so the idiot connotations are minimal.
- Nice Guy: His arrangement with Kurumi is because she trusts him and he immediately helped Miu when he saw her collapsed on the ground.
- Living Lie Detector: He develops a rare form of magic that allows him to see some of people's secrets and through their lies. It's implied to be an extension of his Combat Clairvoyance.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama (Japanese), Allison Sumrall (English)The series' female lead, a magician who accidentally turns Takeshi Nanase into a magician himself. She entered the mortal world in the hopes of tracking down her brother, who'd been kidnapped and brainwashed by the Ghost Trailers. They're out to capture her alive for some reason.
- Accidental Kiss: With Takeshi in the story's beginning, leading to much tension.
- Child Prodigy: She's an S-Class magician, and is only in the beginners' class because she disobeyed the school's direct orders when she went to search for her brother.
- Gainaxing: Minor example in episode 5 when she took off her bra while having a fever and then in a rush forget to put it back on. Takeshi takes notice immediately.
- Girly Run: When in a hurry without her weapon she defaults to this; perhaps meant to be a contrast with her battle-ready mindset?
- Hand Cannon: Her Aspect is as large as her forearm.
- Hidden Buxom: Much to Kurumi's dismay, she's better endowed then she looks. It leads to questions about how much milk she drinks.
- I Call Her "Vera": She calls her weapon Arthur.
- Idiot Hair: Has a long strand of hair in front of her face and this is reflected in some poor decisions, like trying to rescue her brother by herself.
- "I Know You Are in There Somewhere" Fight: She often does this to her brother, insisting that he fight the Ghost Trailers' brainwashing.
- Shock and Awe: Her power revolves around electricity.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A (thigh-high stockings) as part of the school uniform.
Voiced by: Asami Seto (Japanese), Sara Ornelas (English)The other female lead, who is Takeshi's childhood friend/girlfriend and also gets turned into a magician.
- A-Cup Angst: Is upset when finding out that Mui has a larger bust than hers.
- Becoming the Mask: Her relationship with Takeshi was originally just a cover, but she has truly fallen for him over time.
- Breast Expansion: She found out about her newly acquired shape changing magic because her breasts where the first things to change.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: In the first episode, she is more bothered about Takeshi calling a girl she hasn't met before by her first name rather than the menacing guys in front of her. As the story progresses, she has become increasingly uncomfortable with Takeshi's growing bond with Mui.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The stalker incident was scary and traumatizing.
- Distressed Damsel: Kidnapped by Gekkou in the lead up to the anime's climax which then forms a substantial amount of it.
- Healing Hands: Shapeshifting isn't her only magic; she can also heal people.
- Rape as Backstory: She had a bad experience with a stalker, which prompted Takeshi to date her in order to protect her.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Her beauty has attracted a lot of unwanted admirers since her middle school years, leading to the traumatizing stalker incident.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Her magic can alter her body and her clothes. It later develops into perfect copies of someone.
Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (Japanese), Scott Gibbs (English)Takeshi's friend. The third member of the group that become magicians. He becomes a skilled destructive magic user, an expert in the fire element.
- Bash Brothers: He and Takeshi create a combo where he charges a magic fire bullet and Takeshi uses it to empower Twilight.
- Big Brother Instinct: While he can be somewhat gruff and has trouble showing it, he is protective of his little sister. She becomes a magician when he gets into a heated argument with her about her going to a trip with only boys, and he loses control of his magic.
- Butt-Monkey: Has lots of trouble controlling his power, and tends to get into trouble.
- Face of a Thug: Looks like a delinquent, but not a bad person.
- Japanese Delinquent: Looks like one, due to his hair being dyed blond, and his earrings.
- Playing with Fire: His magic is fire based.
Subaru Magic Academy
- Authority Equals Asskicking: She has may look like a normal girl but she's the principal so she kicks ass with awesome skill.
- Big Good: The principal of Subaru Magic Academy and head of Wizard Brace.
- Bokukko: Uses "boku" to refer to herself in conversations reflecting her tomboyish nature despite her feminine appearance.
- Girlish Pigtails: Two waist length tails that increase the preception of a "cute little girl".
- In-Series Nickname: Momo-tan and Chibi-chan.
- Little Miss Badass: She may look like a short teenager but she's the most powerful mage in Wizard Brace.
- Ms. Exposition: Explained the backstory, including the Great Magic War to the Takeshi and his friends when they first arrived.
- Older Than They Look: Does not look any older than her students, and even dresses like them.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Unlike the Zettai Ryouiki of the teenage students, she has full tights.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She doesn't want novice magicians like Takeshi's group in the field because the most likely outcome is their own death, but she recognizes that they'll go after Miu's brother with or without official sanction. Thus, she offers to include them in The Team if they do exceptionally well on their exams.
- Weaponized Teleportation: Utilizes warp-based spells.
Voiced by: Takayuki Yamaguchi (Japanese), Mike Yager (English)The homeroom teacher of Takeshi's class.
Voiced by: Ayumi Tsunematsu (Japanese), Amelia Fischer (English)The school nurse.
- Ambiguously Lesbian: Revels at any chance of feeling Momoka up.
- Combat Medic: She can go into the combat zone to pull out invalids.
- Meganekko: Constantly wears a pair of glasses and looks good with them on.
Oyassan/Pops (real name Katou)
Voiced by: Hiroshi Shirokuma (Japanese), Josh Morrison (English)The academy's weapons provider.
- The Mole: A spy for the Ghost Trailers in the Subaru Magic Academy.
- Antagonistic Offspring: He tries to kill his mother, presumably because he blames her like he blames Takeshi.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Only acts nice to get Takeshi's guard down.
- Cain and Abel: Cain to Takeshi's Abel given his antagonism to both his brother and their mother.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: His obsession with Kurumi is what made his relationship with Takeshi turn for the worse. When Takeshi admitted that he was dating Kurumi, Gekkou threw a tantrum, accused Takeshi of taking advantage of her when she was vulnerable, giving the latter no chance to explain, and things went downhill from there.
- Evil Counterpart: To Takeshi and made very obvious by this poster◊. Their Cain and Abel status also helps.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: His fellow Ghost Trailers Oigami and Kumagai are irked by his psychotic behavior.
- Game-Breaking Injury: He apparently got into an accident that made it very difficult for him to continue practicing kendo, which added to his ever mounting envy and hatred for his older brother.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: His hatred of his brother is fueled by a belief that he's inferior to his brother thus his desire to take everything from him (Kurumi, Twilight, personal pride) to make himself feel better.
- Insane Troll Logic: My brother's dating the girl I like? I got into an accident afterwards? Everything is his fault! He tried to kill me! Better join up with a magical terrorist organization and eventually murder him after stealing everything he loves!
- Psychotic Smirk: Even visible in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment in the opening sequence, an early hint of his true nature.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His red eyes tend to be focused on when there is anything disturbing related to him.
- Teleport Spam: His magic is teleporting and he uses it to bypass Takeshi's Combat Clairvoyance.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Invoked. He becomes a much more agreeable person after coming to the school for mages, but none of the viewers are fooled. It's been all but confirmed that he's secretly working with the Ghost Trailers and that he's playing nice just to get his brother's guard down.
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Morikawa (Japanese), Leraldo Anzaldua (English)Mui's older brother, whose memories was modified by Ghost Trailers and is branded a traitor by the Academy. His memories are returned to normal at the climax of the first arc and he rejoins Wizard Brace.
- Aloof Big Brother: A stoic antagonist at the start despite his little sister's pleas.
- An Ice Person: His speciality is ice, and it comes in handy in the muggle world because he can use it against his enemies without technicallly violating the Gift.
- Big Brother Instinct: After returning to his old self, he becomes a doting older brother to Mui again.
- Big Brother Mentor: After his Heel–Face Turn, he takes to advising Takeshi's group which naturally includes his genuine little sister.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The Ghost Trailers turned him evil.
- Heel–Face Turn: Eventually, after regaining his memories, he became the great guy that Miu insisted he always was.
- Nice Guy: Returns to being this after his memories are restored; doting brother, good friend, etc.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Has hair covering his right eye but he's not "concealing" anything so it can be considered an Averted Trope.
- BFS: A sword his own height that he swings around easily.
- The Brute: A strongman Washizu sends on missions requiring physical power.
- Fiery Redhead: No one in the initial antagonistic group has greater passion or redder hair than him.
- Nice Guy: Wizard Brace's memory alterations make him a gruff but heroic guy.
- Ship Tease: With Kurumi such as Rescue Romance. Even after his memories are restored he's sweet on her.
Voiced by: Saki Fujita (Japanese), Juliet Simmons (English)
Voiced by: Toshiki Masuda (Japanese), Johnny DeLaCerda (English)
- Bee Bee Gun: His Ancestral Magic involves shooting bees at people.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Ghost Trailer in glasses.
- Leeroy Jenkins: His reckless use of Ancestral Magic against Takeshi costs him his magical power, as using it against another magician is forbidden in the muggle world.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: When firing his Bee Bee Gun his glasses flash to make him look more sinister.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: If he didn't have glasses, then he couldn't use Scary Shiny Glasses when melting someone or breaking them by talking.
- Malicious Misnaming: Constantly calls Momoka any variation of "chibi" (referring to her young appearance).
- Psychotic Smirk: He enjoys using his magic to melt things (and people!) too much.
- We Can Rule Together: He wants to recruit Takeshi to Ghost Trailer.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He sincerely believes that the Ghost Trailers are the good guys.
- White Hair, Black Heart: The Dragon has white hair, but as stated other places, he believes himself to have a white heart too.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: Attempts to convince Takeshi that Wizard Brace is an evil and oppressive organization whose destruction by the Ghost Trailers is needed to restore freedom to the magician society.
- Big Bad: The leader of Ghost Trailers, instigator of the Great Magic War, and the one feared most by Wizard Brace.
- Expy: A Big Bad who leads a faction full of magic-wielding supremacists with the goal of conquering non-magical people, then suddenly disappears for more than ten years, awaiting his revival? Sounds a lot like Lord Voldemort.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When he uses magic it must effect his eyes as well because they glow.
- He Who Fights Monsters: He and Ghost Trailers are subjugating others, which is the exact same thing Wizard Brace did in the past.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Appropriate for an "evil" wizard, his glowing eyes are a dangerous red.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wizard Brace was not always the benevolent organization it is today, and Kazuma learning of this is what pushed him to lead a rebellion.