Characters: Macross Plus
Characters from Macross Plus
Isamu Alva Dyson
Voiced by: Takumi Yamazaki (Japanese), Bryan Cranston (English)Protagonist of the series, he is an expert pilot participating in colonial defense against rogue Zentraedi. However, his numerous counts of insubordination and his habit of taking incredible risks leads to him getting reassigned to New Edwards Test Facility on Eden, where he is given the task of test piloting the YF-19 Excalibur. He is a former friend of both Myung and Guld, but something very bad happened to break them up, and he is constantly butting heads with Guld.
- Ace Pilot: His risk-taking aside, his skill at piloting is incredible.
- Berserk Button: Guld is very good at pushing it, mainly by calling him a coward who never takes responsibility for anything.
- The Cameo: He's mentioned in some Macross Frontier supplementary materials as outfighting Ozma Lee and Henry Gilliam (who were piloting the newest VF-25 Messiahs against his customized YF-19) during training simulations.
- He later makes an appearance in The Wings of Goodbye movie as a member of the S.M.S. reinforcements, still in his customized YF-19.
- Drives Like Crazy: Both in a plane and on a motorcycle.
- Expy: He's basically Maverick without the emotional baggage, and with a career and accomplishments to back up his recklessness.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Admit it, he IS kind of a dick.
- Military Maverick: Insubordinate, short-tempered, little impulse control. The only reason he hasn't been court-martialled is his extreme skill at flying... and even then he's toeing the line.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Very popular with the ladies.
Guld Goa Bowman
Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (Japanese), Richard Epcar (English)Another test pilot at New Edwards, Guld is test piloting the YF-21 Sturmvogel, which uses an experimental new mentally controlled interface, requiring intense self-discipline. He used to know Myung and Isamu, but the instant he lays eyes on Isamu he starts insulting him and not-so-subtly trying to undermine him at every opportunity. He blames Isamu for some incident in the past, but never elaborates on exactly what that is...
- Berserk Button: Isamu. Guld's self-discipline is seriously tested every time he so much as sees the guy.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-Zentran. It's implied that he developed such incredible mental discipline due to needing to suppress latent Zentraedi war instincts.
- Heroic Sacrifice and Redemption Equals Death
- Love Makes You Crazy: One way to interpret his Attempted Rape of Myung.
- Near-Rape Experience: Subverted in that he blocked it out of his mind and blamed Isamu for it.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: He cant' recall that he assaulted Myung, not Isamu. And when he realizes it, he's horrified.
- Unstoppable Rage: Guld seems to have serious anger management issues, believed in-story to be inherited from his Zentran parent. He's taught himself intense self-discipline to counter this, and in general is very much in control of himself, but it isn't perfect.
Myung Fan Lone
Voiced by: Rika Fukami (Japanese, speaking), Akino Arai (Japanese, singing), Anne Sherman (English)Producer for Sharon Apple, although she is secretly supplying Sharon's emotions, that being one aspect of the human mind the AI team has been unable to emulate. She formerly had dreams of becoming a singer herself, but apparently gave them up long ago, to the confusion of her friends. She had a past friendship with both Isamu and Guld, but now the tension between them is obvious whenever they meet.
- Action Survivor: She gets thrown into a few nasty situations near the end, and handles herself fairly well.
- Broken Bird: Her life went totally down the gutter after Guld snapped on her and Isamu.
- Sex for Solace: She and Guld.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her surname can also be seen spelled "Long".
Voiced by: Mako Hyoudou (Japanese), Melora Harte (English)The most popular singer of the era, Sharon is unique in that she is entirely computer generated. Holograms are projected during her performances, which show her as a sexy, usually dark-haired singer with a very pale complexion. Because Myung is supplying Sharon's emotions, she inherits Myung's lingering affection for Isamu, and one military-produced illegal AI chip upgrade later, she begins to get ideas...
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: In fact, the UN Government places extremely harsh restrictions on AI development and research after her little episode in Macross City. It's the major reason the Ghost drones were relegated to curiosities instead of the UN Spacy's frontline fighters.
- Idol Singer: A completely virtual one, a first for the Macross universe.
- Love Makes You Crazy/Love Makes You Evil: Her goal is to give Isamu "the ultimate thrill", which only comes when he is on the border of life and death.
- Madness Mantra: ISAMU ISAMU ISAMU ISAMU ISAMU...
- Mind-Control Music: She can hypnotize people with her music, at least once fully unleashed. Exactly how is never really explained.
- Ms. Fanservice: And one that can potentially change her looks and wardrobe to fit her potential "love interest"'s tastes!
- Virtual Celebrity: She is, more or less, a Vocaloid. A full decade before such things existed in Real Life.
- Yandere: She certainly gets possessive of Isamu near the end.
Voiced by: Show Hayami (Japanese), Steve Blum (English)Head scientist behind the creation of Sharon Apple. His goal is simply to see her become fully independent and self-aware, and show her off to the human race. Unfortunately, the lengths he goes to to achieve that goal spell trouble down the line...
- For Science!: He doesn't care one way or the other about music, he just wants to be the first to make an AI.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Gender-Blender Name: Pronounced "Marge", despite being a man.
- Mad Scientist: His only goal is Sharon's completion. He has no qualms about breaking the law to achieve it.
Voiced by: Megumi Hayashibara (Japanese), Bambi Darro (English)A technician at New Edwards working on the YF-19 team, she and Isamu hit it off soon after meeting and strike up a relationship.
- Bridge Bunny: The closest the series has to one.
- Come Back to Bed, Honey: Too bad it was awfully timed, though to be fair Lucy had no way to know Myung was in trouble. Or more exactly, that Sharon was the one at the other side of the phone, setting up a rather complicated gambit involving Isamu, Myung, and Guld.
- Friends with Benefits: With Isamu
- Ms. Fanservice: She doesn't tend to wear very much while off-duty.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Myung when Isamu and Guld get into a fistfight and the depth of Isamu's feelings for Myung are revealed."It... it always was you. Deep down, he only loves you!"
- Youthful Freckles: To accentuate her cuteness.
Voiced by: Kenji Utsumi (Japanese), Beau Billingslea (English)The commander of New Edwards, and the overseer of the contest between the YF-19 and YF-21. He is a very no-nonsense sort of man and is surprisingly intuitive. He almost always knows what's going on, but chooses to manipulate the problems between people rather than confront them directly.
- Da Chief: Acts that way in regards to Isamu's loose canon antics.
- Former Teen Rebel: He says that he was actually pretty similar to Isamu in his youth.
- Not So Different: See above.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Especially when compared to the UN's top brass.
Voiced by: Tomohiro Nishimura (Japanese), Dan Woren (English)The designer of the YF-19, and a hacker in his spare time. He and Isamu frequently argue, usually because he's worried that Isamu's going to crash his beloved prototype, but they get along well and are often doing things together off-duty.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Thanks to Sharon.
- Playful Hacker: Leading him to try to hack Sharon Apple.
- Teen Genius: His exact age isn't clear, but he's certainly much younger than one would expect the designer of a cutting edge military prototype to be.
- Unwitting Instigatorof Doom: when he tries to hack Sharon's A.I. during her concert in OVA 2, not only he breaks through Myung's own concentration (she's the one managing the A.I.), but it causes Sharon to see Isamu for the first time...