Characters / Knack
This page details the specific characters that inhabit the world of Knack
A creature created by the Doctor, using relics of an ancient civilization
, to help in the fight against the goblins. Though he may appear small and harmless, he can absorb other relics to grow in both size and power.
- Not Quite Dead: Happens to him thrice. Once after getting shot by one of Viktor's robots but manages to pull himself back together. The second time when Gundahar stabs his orb, causing him to fall apart, but reassemble after about 20 seconds. Happens again when some guards blast him with rockets while in stealth mode, causing Vargas and Lucas to think he's gone, but he simply pulls himself together again behind them, leaving behind the stealth pieces.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: When he's small, he can still beat up creatures more than twice his size.
- Power Crystal: Sunstones, whose energy Knack can absorb to unleash special attacks.
- Rock Monster: Not strictly speaking, but he's somewhat similar to one.
- Robot Me: Robo-Knack, the second-player-controlled character in co-op mode.
- Stone Wall: Playing as Dark Knack will give him a great increase in defence, but his sunstone batteries don't fill as quickly.
- The Voiceless: In his smallest form.
“The Doctor is a successful inventor
– his creations include anything from hovercars and airplanes to his masterpiece, Knack. The Doctor’s intelligence is matched only by his inability to think things through
, which frequently results in trouble for himself and others.”
- Adventurer Archaeologist
- The Casanova: Subverted; you'd expect him to have to beat the chicks off with a stick, given his rugged and manly good looks, but...
- He-Man Woman Hater: He seems distrustful of women, especially Katrina. Subverted because it's implied that they've hooked up at the end.
- Cool Uncle
- Heroic Sacrifice: Dies in the temple beneath Obelisk Mountain trying to save Katrina from falling into lava. Then subverted when the ending reveals that he (and Katrina) survived.
- Walking the Earth
“Katrina is the head of Viktor’s security forces, and dedicated to a fault. Katrina is extremely well mannered, which combined with her beauty, brains and athleticism makes for a devastating package – at least as far as Ryder is concerned.”
"Knack, you're no human, why do you work for them?"
The chief of the goblins. Despite his position, he is no relentless brute
, questioning why Knack helps the humans when he isn't one himself. He is the one responsible for providing the goblin race with advanced weapons.
- Anti-Villain: He wants to bring Goblins out of a primitive life in the forest and into cities. He's just gotta get rid of humans to do that. He also saved Charlotte, though he uses her for his own gain.
- Big Bad
- Bling-Bling-BANG!: Gundahar seems quite fond of gold. Not only does he wear golden armor, but his Humongous Mecha is gold plated.
- Fantastic Racism: The guy wants to exterminate mankind! Can't be more racist than that!
- Cycle of Revenge: Since all the goblins are victims of this...
- Hypocrite: Though Vargas implies that the goblins attacked humans first.
- Humongous Mecha: Unlike the other mechas in the game, he doesn't actually control his.
Knack: So, you saved the best for last. Pretty. You want me to wait for you to climb into that thing, cause I'll warn you, I'm not in the most patient of moods.
Gundahar: Get in it? (Chuckles) I'd only hold it back. This fighting unit is completely autonomous.
- Noble Demon: Although he wants to kill all of humans, he doesn't want to harm Charlotte because she helped them build up their army, though he'd likely go back on this if she were to betray them, which she does.
- Noble Savage
- We Can Rule Together: He tries several times to convince Knack to betray humanity and join the goblins. It doesn't work in the slightest.
- We Will Meet Again: After his armory is destroyed and he's encountered Knack and Vargas face to face, he runs off into a secret door and screams "I will be back!" The Doctor knows it'll be a while before he can build up his army again, though.
The love of Vargas' life, who he lost 20 years ago after she fell into the abyss of a cave. Turns out she's still alive, after being raised back to health by Gundahar, in exchange for building them tanks and weapons.
- Disney Death: Fell down a cliff in the cave where she and Vargas found Knack's orb. She lived, though.
- Evil Cripple: Subverted in that she's not evil, she was just forced into working for the villains. She's not even fully disabled, though she says herself that her right leg never fully recovered from her fall, and she now requires a cane to walk properly.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Worked with Vargas on making a new type of car. Also worked for Gundahar to create tanks and weapons.
- Heel Realization: She's already had it by the time Vargas finds her, and refuses to go back to human society because of the trouble she's caused. She eventually changes her mind, though.
- The Lost Lenore: It is more than obvious that, even 20 years later, Vargas hasn't moved on. Gets subverted when he discovers she's still alive.
Lucas: And there really hasn't been anybody else for you?
Vargas: Oh how could there be? She was smart, talented, and beautiful.
- Morality Pet: According to Doctor Vargas, she kept him from putting some of his crazier ideas into action.
- Sympathy for the Devil: Even after she's found out that Gundahar has been using her technology to attack human settlements, she still seems relieved after seeing that Gundahar survived his encounter with Knack and Doctor Vargas. It's only after he expresses his desire to kill all humans that she decides to get as far away from Gundahar as possible.
- Walking Spoiler
Morgack (Chieftain Goblin)
"A golem made of relics..."
A large blue goblin and the chief of the goblin village who attacked the humans at the beginning of the game.
- Claustrophobia: Apparently. According to Ryder, goblins don't like being enclosed in small spaces for long periods of time. Ryder uses this to his advantage by keeping Morgack in the small cockpit of his destroyed mech until he discloses who Gundahar is.
- The Dragon: Could be seen as this to Gundahar, considering that Gundahar didn't actually attack any of the human settlements himself, he just gave Morgack and his underlings the means to do so.
- Humongous Mecha: He didn't make the tanks, but he managed to build his own mech.
- No Name Given: His name is only ever listed in the credits. Otherwise, he's referred to as the Chieftain Goblin in the chapter descriptions and trophy list.
Large golems that live deep underground and protect the relics from being mined by humans or goblins.
- Barrier Warrior: The small guardians can surround themselves in yellow force fields, which deteriorate as they throw lances at Knack.
- Chekhov's Gun: The giant orb who attacks Knack in the underground ruins shows up again later as part of the Final Boss.
- Evil Counterpart: The Final Guardian could be seen as this to Knack, especially after it inserts the Giant Orb into its chest. An orb that looks exactly like Knack's.
- Final Boss: The Final Guardian.
- Gemstone Assault: They often create weapons out of Sunstones.
- Shockwave Stomp: The sword-wielding guardians can create a force field and then slam it down into a shockwave.