Characters: Katekyo Hitman Reborn The Vongola Family
This is a listing of the members of the Vongola Family of Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. YMMV items and subjectives go in the YMMV page for the series. For the main character sheet see here.
open/close all folders
- Vongola Primo (Giotto)
The First Boss and founder of the Vongola Family, Giotto was a benevolent man who accepted people of all kinds regardless of their background. Despite his youth, he turned the Vongola into a major power, before retiring and moving to Japan. Giotto is shown to have possessed the Dying Will Flame, and special gloves like Tsuna's. He and Tsuna are identical.
- An Ice Person: The original user of Zero Point Breakthrough: First Edition. Others after him tried to replicate the technique, and they would almost always fail, creating something else in the process. The only people alive who can use the real thing are the Vongolas Nono and Decimo (Timoteo and Tsuna, respectively).
- Badass Cape: He pioneered it!
- Benevolent Boss: He started the Family in order to protect those dear to him, and accepted all kinds of people to be his companions.
- Bishounen: Gee, what gave it away?
- Identical Grandson: More like great-great-great-grandson.
- Loved Ones Montage
- Older Than They Look: Despite having lived at least long enough to conceive a child, he appears barely older than Tsuna. Also, we don't yet know whether the form he appears in reflects how old he was when he died or not.
- Well given how young Tsuna's parents (especially his mum) look despite having a teenage son, it's not really all that unbelievable. This is the Reborn-verse.
- Passing the Torch: Ironically it's implied that the Secondo wasn't chosen as successor. Tsuna however is approved.
- Posthumous Character
- Retired Badass
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: His eyes look like Tsuna's when he's in Hyper Dying Will Mode.
- Vongola Secondo (Ricardo)
Second head of the Vongola. Unlike Giotto, he was very violent and ruled through fear. First holder of the Flame of Wrath, which Xanxus also possesses. He and Xanxus look remarkably alike.
Voiced by: Suzune Okabe
- Bad Boss: He's revealed (from what little we know of him) to be almost identical to Xanxus in personality—which can only mean one thing: He's one hell of a Bad Boss.
- According to the Ninth, the Vongola started getting more and more violent following his take over and have been going downhill ever since. He's basically responsible for the Family's fall from grace.
- Energy Ball
- Short Hair with Tail
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Vongola Terzo
Third head of the Vongola. Wielded a knife.
Voiced by: N/A
- Vongola Quarto
Fourth head of the Vongola. He apparently dreamed of being a chef, but was made Boss instead.
Voiced by: N/A
- Vongola Quinto
Fifth head of the Vongola. Used a katar.
Voiced by: Shinobu Matsumoto
- Vongola Sesto (Simora)
Sixth head of the Vongola.
Voiced by: N/A
- Vongola Settimo (Fabio)
Seventh head of the Vongola and father of Daniela. Created the Dying Will Gun (also used by Xanxus) because he had a weak flame.
Voiced by: N/A
- Vongola Ottavo (Daniela)
The only female Vongola leader to date. Wielded a crossbow. Timoteo's mother.
Voiced by: N/A
- Vongola Nono (Timoteo)
The current Boss, and adoptive father of Xanxus. When Xanxus tries to stage a coup, he freezes him and chooses Tsuna as his successor. Xanxus later kidnapped him and sealed him inside Gola Mosca, almost leading to his death at Tsuna's hands. However, he survived
- Vongola Decimo (Tsunayoshi)
The Vongola Famiglia's elite independent assassination squad.
They are composed of genius assassins who work in the deepest recesses of the Mafia.
Each member takes on missions that are said to be impossible to accomplish by humans
; however, they do not accept a mission unless they believe there is a 90% chance of success. Those that see them work often say that their high-level assassination skills are demonic.
All Varia officers provide examples for these tropes:
- Awesomeness by Analysis: They can adapt well with the techniques of their opponents and counter them with a better one, which earned them the term "Varia Quality" by the Vongola.
- Anti-Hero: They are considered heroes by name only because they are allied with the Vongola.
- Cast Full of Gay: They're all guys, live in the same house, Lussuria's quite obviously gay, Levi is explicitly stated to be "madly in love with" Xanxus,the relationship between Xanxus and Squalo resembles that of an abusive husband and a resentful wife, Belphegor touches Mammon a lot and has no issues with Flan casually lifting his shirt...you do the math.
- Dark and Troubled Past: We've seen that Belphegor, Xanxus, Mammon and Fran don't exactly have cheery and peaceful backstories, and it would be logical to conclude that you don't end up being a Professional Killer in a motley crew of eccentric guys without at least some disturbing events in your past.
- Dysfunctional Family
- Elites Are More Glamorous
- Hell-Bent for Leather/Non-Uniform Uniform
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: They're not entirely heartless, especially after their defeat at the hands of Tsuna and his Guardians.
- Meaningful Name
- One Name Only: Except Squalo.
- Psycho for Hire/Secret Police: They are this for the Vongola Famiglia.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad
- Seven Deadly Sins: Each Varia officer represents a deadly sin and the Shadow Archetype(s) of Tsuna and his guardians in the Varia Arc.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: They fight a lot, but when the chips are down, they kick ass and take names together.
- With Friends Like These...: They are rather nonchalant at the thought of the other officers being critically injured or possibly dead.
- Would Hit a Girl
- Would Hurt a Child
The second major villain
in the series, this guy is the leader of the Varia Assassination Squad
, which should be enough to tell that he isn't
someone you want to anger. Too bad though, his Berserk Button
is broken and can't be turned off. He was raised as the son of the 9th Vongola Boss, but after discovering that he was adopted, he went on Unstoppable Rage
mode and tried to take over the Vongola by force, but ultimately failed and was frozen. Years later, he pulled a lot of strings
after discovering that Tsuna would be the 10th boss instead of him. That way, he would not only kill the competition, but have the support of the higher circles of the Vongola. Once again, he was thwarted, and ten years in the future, he fights on the same side as Tsuna for the Vongola's victory
Voiced by: Masanori Ikeda
- The Alcoholic: A fan book claimed that he likes tequila and whiskey, and seen holding some type of liquor in some instances. Fanon likes to play this trope with him basically being a Functional Alcoholic.
- Angrish: It's second nature to him.
- Art Evolution: He seems to be one of the more affected ones by this. Apparently, he received one hell of a makeover 10 years into the future. From this to this. His fans also increased exponentially after his new appearance.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Bad Boss: Just look at how he treats Squalo. The fact that Viper preferred to run away than to face his anger after losing to Mukuro should also tell you something.
- Ironically, his subordinates are arguably even more loyal to him than those of Tsuna.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: His face is covered in scars and he's always frowning, and yet the fangirls go bonkers over him.
- Beam Spam: His X-Guns.
- Berserk Button: Mentioning his defeat at the hands of Tsuna is a sure way to send him into an Unstoppable Rage. It remains so even 10 years into the future though he is more stoic about this.
- Big Bad Good
- Big Eater: And a picky one to boot.
- Bring It: During their battle, after listening to Siel monologue for a while, Xanxus gets bored and calmly beckons for him to just come and get some already. Badassery ensues.
- Coat Cape: It's a mystery how he manages to keep it in place during all these fights.
- Cool Chair: A subtle Running Gag that he always brings his throne like chair everywhere, even to a hotspring!
- Determinator: Although his determination to get the position of Vongola boss, even when all odds are against him, might not be a really good thing.
- Deep Sleep: It was suggested that being asleep for eight years kept him from aging mentally and as a result still remembered his grudge against the Ninth. Although, it was better than being aware that he was trapped and boxed in steel where no light and sound can reach him.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Energy Ball: The Flame of Rage.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Just ask Squalo and Levi.
- Everyone Has Standards: As much as disagrees with Tsuna, he is very much loyal to the Vongola and sickens him at the thought of being involved with the Millefiore Family.
Xanxus: "Regardless of our internal strife, in times of crisis, when we are attacked by scumbags from the outside... We, the Vongola, are always... as one!!"
- Evil Counterpart: In terms of looks, personality, upbringing involving the Vongola, weapons, and box weapons, he's pretty much the anti-Tsuna. Although Xanxus' more of an Anti-Hero after he was beaten by Tsuna.
- Evil Laugh: He tends to have it when he goes off ranting about how everyone else is trash.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Deep, manly, and raspy.
- Female Gaze: In the anime, during his fight with Rasiel, the camera spends quite a bit of time lingering on those leather-clad legs of his.
- Gangsta Style
- Generation Xerox: Xanxus is actually a subversion of this. His actions of uprooting Tsuna from being the successor of the Tenth generation is reminiscent of Vongola Secondo for Primo, down to them having similar features. However, the subversion comes from The Reveal that Xanxus neither has Vongola blood and that Daemon was more responsible for Giotto stepping down than Ricardo did.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars
- Guns Akimbo: With special guns made for Beam O Wars.
- The Gunslinger: He has the skill to be a Type C, but prefers to be a Type B.
- Hair Decorations: Xanxus has some colorful feathers and a raccoon tail tied to his hair.
- Human Popsicle: Though he stays frozen less than a decade.
- Jerkass: Through and through. He isn't entirely heartless, but he's never done anything which could be deemed nice either.
- Older Than They Look/Younger Than They Look: He actually fits both tropes. Due to being frozen for 8 years, his present biological age is supposed to be 16. Not that anyone could tell by looking at him, since he already looked like he was in his 20's before he was frozen.
- Ominous Pipe Organ: His theme music. Which is epic by the way.
- Orcus on His Throne: He's often seen sitting on his Cool Chair or some other furniture when not fighting. Although this trait of authoritative badassery is demonstrated during his fight with Rasiel.
- Perpetual Frowner: You don't really wanna see him smile.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Pet the Dog: His TYL self actually acknowledged Tsuna to represent the Vongola's strength before the Choice Battle Arc.
- Pyrrhic Villainy: Despite the fact he lost to Tsuna in their battle, he tries to take the rings by force. However upon wearing them, the rings instantly rejected because he's not truly of Vongonla blood. Basically meaning the whole contest between the Varia and Tsuna's group was pretty much pointless since he was doomed to lose from the start.
- Rage Against the Mentor + Calling the Old Man Out
- Real Men Eat Meat
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Siel even references this, remarking how his vicious red eyes resemble his Cool Pet's.
- Scars Are Forever: And some appear when in Unstoppable Rage.
- Shirtless Scene: This◊ and here.◊ It's almost like Amano has some sort of fetish for him seeing as the only person she ever draws shirtless otherwise is Tsuna and that's only when he gets shot by the Dying Will Bullet...
- Significant Anagram/Sdrawkcab Name: To the theme of being Tsuna's polar opposite, if the X's are removed and his name is spelled backwards, the phonic pronunciation of the kanji "Suna" means "sand or grit" to signify the deterioration of structures in the passage of time. In contrast to "Tsuna" meaning "rope or bond" in recreating relations in the Vongola.
- The Slacker: It's mentioned that he rarely fights seriously. He usually prefers sitting at his comfortable chair and wait till his subordinates do the dirty work for him. But once he gets serious, be sure that asses will be kicked.
- Slasher Smile: Let's say that the only time he smiled something akin to genuine smile was in Levi’s Imagine Spot.
- Slouch of Villainy: And he doesn't even have to sit up straight to kick your ass.
- Social Darwinist: Seems to believe in the survival of the strongest.
- Spoiled Brat: He was raised to have everything only to discover that he couldn't have that from the very beginning. He didn't take it well.
- Even 10 years into the future, although some say he's improved note , he's still horribly spoiled and rotten tempered, as seen in the "beef incident." It has to be beef, and it has to be filleted, and how do they expect him to eat this shit?!
- The Stoic: He's this until he smiles, especially ten years later.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Team Dad: Both Lussuria and Mammon seem to think so. It's as scary as it sounds.
- This Cannot Be!: He is clearly getting beaten by Tsuna towards the end of their fight. He's not too happy about that and says things like "Not possible! This is impossible!"
- Unusual Eyebrows: It might be subtle compared to other examples, but his eyebrows split into two.
- We Have Reserves: His attitude to his subordinates in general. He even laughed when he heard that Squalo had died!
- Superbi Squalo
Xanxus's second in command
, and by far most loyal subordinate. Squalo is a master swordsman who defeated different styles to perfect his own. He was up to be the Varia's leader, but mellowed out as soon as Xanxus entered the picture
. Not only that, he stays loyal to his boss even after being treated like trash
, which made him a fan girl favorite by default
. He made a promise to never cut his hair until Xanxus became boss of the Vongola family. He was defeated in the Rain Ring Battle by Yamamoto, while his future self becomes his Sink-or-Swim Mentor
- Alliterative Name
- Animal Motifs: Everything about him screams Jaws.
- Artificial Limbs: Cut off his own hand in order to better understand one of his opponent's fighting styles. He has it replaced with a hand that can turn at any angle which he attaches his sword to. Literally.
- Battle Cry
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Not a single mark even after losing the Rain Battle or after another ten years of fights.
- Blood Knight: He went on a killing spree in his youth to absorb new techniques to expand and perfect his own style.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Although he is very devoted to Xanxus, he does get irritated with the abuse and annoyance with him and the other Varia members at times.
- Catchphrase: VOOOOIIII!!! note
- Cool Sword: His sword has hidden explosives he can release at will.
- Devoted To Xanxus
- Even the Guys Want Him: He has Ho Yay with Xanxus, Yamamoto, Lussuria and Dino.
- Face Palm: When Yamamoto is 'screwing around' with his puppy.
- Gray Eyes: Of the strong-willed variety.
- Hidden Depths: He may come across as a reckless loudmouth with a one-track mind, but he's perceptive enough to see through powerful illusions and smart enough to be the Varia's Strategy Captain in the future. Also, the fact that he's the only Varia member brave enough to talk back to Xanxus, no matter how much Xanxus abuses him, certainly says something.
- Hot Teacher: For Yamamoto.
- Important Haircut: What he plans to do with his promise to Xanxus.
- In Love with Xanxus' Carnage
- In Universe Nickname: Squ, Squ-chan, Squa-senpai, shitty shark, stupid long-haired captain...
- The Lancer: Though during Varia arc he was more of The Dragon.
- Large Ham: This is how LARGE it is.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Master Swordsman: He killed the first Varia Boss and Sword Emperor, Tyr when he was just fourteen. And in the Future Arc, challenged and beaten one hundred swordsmen in a row to earn himself the title "Second Sword Emperor". He didn't count his one hundredth battle because he suspected Genkishi lost on purpose.
- Meaningful Name: "Superbi" is "Pride" in Italian, while "Squalo" is "Shark". Two motifs for the price of one name!
- Mr. Fanservice: His fangirls will tell you that.
- Made of Iron: This probably explains why he shrugs off most of Xanxus' abuse and how he survived being eaten by a shark.
- Mysterious Past: There are some hints about his childhood in the drama CD "Bucking Horse and Shark", and this understandably piqued the curiosity of some fans, but his past hasn't been explored in detail.
- No Indoor Voice: He even has the well-deserved title of the loudest mafia member, according to Fuuta's ranking. However, interestingly enough, he momentarily lowered his voice to a whisper when Haru was interviewing him.
- No One Could Survive That: This guy was eaten by a shark, maimed by Zakuro, had his heart pierced by Jager and lived to tell the tale.
- Odd Friendship: With Dino.
- Only Sane Man: Not really normal but amongst Varia officers, he is the sanest and most level-headed one.
- Opposites Attract: He has a bond with good-natured Dino and is an impulsive lancer to his more stoic boss.
- The Promise: He promised to grow his hair out until Xanxus became the Vongola Boss, but still kept growing it out when Tsuna became the boss in the Future Arc.
- Rapunzel Hair
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: His TYL self to Yamamoto.
- The South Paw: Added to being a prodigy swordsman, being left handed makes it difficult for most swordsmen to parry his attacks.
- The Strategist: He's the Strategy Captain for the Varia during the Future Arc.
- Tsundere: If this is anything to go by.
- Threatening Shark: He almost got eaten by a shark after the Rain battle, but survived. Ironically, his box weapon animal turns out to be a shark.
- Too Kinky to Torture: The fact that he puts up with all heavy objects Xanxus throws at him and still remains by his side, might mean that he has a masochistic streak.
- Undying Loyalty: Again, to Xanxus.
- Unexplained Recovery: A few bandages and a few days rest after getting nommed by a shark and he's fit to randomly show up at the Sky Battle. Granted, he was covered with bandages and sitting in a wheelchair, with a Cavallone grunt holding a gun to his head. It might be more of a case of "forced to be there..."
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Despite Xanxus's abuse of him, their relationship arguably has shades of this.
- White Hair, Black Heart: And how.
A flamboyant martial arts expert and master of the Muay Thai style. Did we mention he's gay? Very
gay. Alright then. Faces off against Ryohei (who quickly becomes his new object of lust) in a very brightly lit boxing ring, and shatters his opponents hand with a metal cap strapped to his knee. Despite this, he was eventually defeated, and Xanxus has him shot
. He recovers though, and went on to aid Vongola in the future.
Voiced by: Kouichirou Yuzawa
One of the Varia officers and leader of the Varia Lightning Strike Squad. He is very loyal
to Xanxus and would do anything to be praised by him. During the Lightning Ring Battle he fought against Lambo and nearly lost to his 25 year old form.
Voiced by: Yuto Nakano
- Badass Longcoat
- Bi the Way: His devotion to Xanxus aside, he also expressed clear interest in cute girls such as Chrome and M.M.
- Butt Monkey
- Gonk: Not really that ugly (still prettier than Longchamp's girlfriends) but just compare him to the rest of the cast.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Well, the guy is supposed to represent Envy.
- Hero-Worshipper: Levi basically worships the ground that Xanxus walks on.
- The Klutz: According to Mammon, Levi is the clumsiest one amongst Varia officers.
- Loony Fan: Towards Xanxus. "Boss! Praise me more! BOOOSSSS!!"
- Meaningful Name: His name is actually 'Leviathan', the biblical demon of Envy.
- Parasol of Pain
- Shock and Awe
- Stalker with a Crush: One of the anime omakes shows that Levi would gladly follow his beloved boss even to the bedroom.
- Unknown Rival: It's quite subtle but Levi has a minor rivalry with Squalo. During the Varia arc, there's a scene where Squalo declares that he can easily beat all of Tsuna's guardians, and Levi pointedly glares at him. On both of the occasions when Squalo was thought to be dead, Levi was clearly happy, and Mammon even once said that Levi's diligence makes him suitable for Squalo's position, second-in-command of the Varia. However, Squalo doesn't seem to care about Levi at all, one way or the other.
Resident genius prince of the Varia. Nicknamed "Prince the Ripper" because he murdered his twin brother and becomes euphoric when he sees his own blood. He is supposed to represent the sin of Sloth since in Christian tradition, Belphegor is said to be the chief demon of this deadly sin. During the Storm Ring Battle, he beat Gokudera by pinning him down and preventing him from escaping the timed explosion of the wind turbines until he let go of his half of the ring.
Voiced by: Yuuki Fujiwara
- Gola Mosca
At first, Mosca was the most mysterious member of the Varia, never speaking a word and hiding his face at all times. As his team's Cloud Guardian, he fought Hibari for the Cloud Ring, but fell to a single attack from his opponent. It was then that his true identity was revealed: Gola Mosca is actually a prototype weapon that Varia stole from the Vongola HQ. It's a combat robot that feeds on the flame energy of anyone who is placed inside it, and will stop at nothing to complete its objective. As such, it's the main piece for the completion of Xanxus's plans.
Voiced by: N/A
The newest officer member of the Varia in the future who uses a Hell Ring with the numbers "666" imprinted on it. Introduced during the Varia attack on a Millefiore base in Italy, Fran is Mammon's replacement as the group's illusionist and is thus forced to wear a large frog hat
to symbolize this. Fran has a calm demeanor despite being very antagonistic towards the other members of the Varia, verbally attacking them. He can be sarcastic, coldly abusive, and very
, very blunt
. Fran is portrayed as a level-headed coward, that prefers running rather than fighting. He occasionally forgets that he is the Varia's illusionist and is supposed to see through the illusions that enemies set up, making vague references to the fact that he has a master. He is often teamed up with Bel
, whom he calls "senpai." Fran is actually quite talented in illusions, being able to make it seem like he and Bel died fighting Rasiel. There seems to be more to him than meets the eye with Fran; when Bel embedded knives into his back, he didn't even bleed, and simply took out the knives, bending and disposing of them.
Voiced by: Sachi Kokuryu
- Brilliant but Lazy
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: French, a coward, and had a weird memory incident with cheese. He pretty much is this trope.
- Child Prodigy: In a recent chapter it is shown that he's been able to do complicated illusions ever since he was very young, even before he was trained by Mukuro.
- Cloudcuckoolander: The Fran in the present day seems like one, thinking everyone around him is a fairy, and telling Mukuro (the "Pineapple Fairy") that due to him being there "everything in this place reeks of pineapples!".
- Curtains Match the Window
- Deadpan Snarker
- Facial Markings
- Genre Savvy: Likes to explain other people's attacks because "that's the way it works". He can even break the Fourth Wall, prompting Bel to ask who he's talking to.
- Gentleman Snarker: And since both his sempai's and enemies make such epic Snark Bait...
- Gratuitous English: To the point he refers to himself as "mii".
- Human Pincushion: Repeatedly stabbed by Bel's knives and Mukuro's trident. His reaction? To carry on with the deadpan.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Present day Fran is unable to remember any of the Future arc as a result of getting pummeled in the head by a block of cheese.
- Master of Illusion: He is Mukuro's Apprentice.
- Nice Hat: Against his will. The giant apple his present day from wears was his own choice though.
- Perpetual Frowner: Has smiled only once so far (during the "Good job" scene), and it's likely he was sarcastic about it.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Fran or Flan?
- Official Japanese material (manga, merchandise, etc..) usually writes it as "Fran". It might very well be the shortened form of Francisque, François, or something similar.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Present day Fran doesn't react well when the Vindice guards show up to the Arcobaleno battle.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Varia Lightning Strike Squad
A three-member squad of low-level, but still fairly skilled, assassins led by Leviathan.
The first boss of the Varia and holder of the Sword Emperor title before Squalo. He did not have a left hand.
- Handicapped Badass: One-handed, and also a sword-wielding assassination squad boss? He definitely qualifies for this trope.
- Master Swordsman: Squalo, a talented sworduser himself, had to fight Tyr for two days and two nights before managing to defeat him.
- Meaningful Name: Tyr is the name of a one-handed god in Norse Mythology.
The members of CEDEF are members of the Vongola Famiglia that remain outside the direct control of the main Famiglia. They hold very little power during times of peace; however, they become a very important part of the Famiglia during times of crisis because, at such times, the CEDEF leader becomes the Vongola Famiglia's second-in-command, and also merges with the main Vongola. The CEDEF can thus be considered the "second Vongola".
- Iemitsu Sawada
Tsuna's elusive father, who everyone believes is either dead or working in some far-off oil field. How wrong they are...
Iemitsu's young disciple and subordinate. He possesses the blue, rain attribute flame, and has the ability to go into Dying Will Mode when he consumes special pills made by Iemitsu. Due to being strictly trained since early childhood, he is a very talented fighter. Unbeknownst to Basil, in order for Iemitsu to safely deliver the real halves of the Vongola Rings to Japan, he was sent to deliver the Fake Vongola Rings to Tsuna. During this, he encounters Superbia Squalo, and is subsequently beat. Despite being used as a decoy, he remains extremely loyal to Iemitsu, and helps train Tsuna in order to help the latter control the Dying Will Flame. The CEDEF later sends him into the future as support for the Vongola, and his Box Weapon is shown to release a dolphin, which he can telepathically communicate with. Basil also has a habit of speaking in an archaic manner
and refers to most with the suffix '-dono'. This unusual habit sometimes interferes in his way of modern speech.
Voiced by: Yuka Terasaki
Vongola Geek Squad
He is part of a family who has provided weapons' tuners for the Vongola for many years, but his own "modifications" actually make all the weapons far less useful. He travels inside a round mechanical machine, but does not seem to do so anymore in the future, a time where his skills have greatly improved.
Voiced by: Kenta Uehara
Vongola Primo's Guardians
The original members of the First Vongola Family, formed as a vigilante group that existed to protect people. The Guardians were from diverse backgrounds as Vongola Primo took in anyone he liked such a royal, clergy and a part of a rival family.
All guardians provide examples for these tropes:
- Big Damn Heroes: All but Spade for Cozarto Simon and his family, as shown in a flashback.
- Bishōnen: And HOW!
- Generation Xerox: The Tenth Generation Family greatly resemble the First Generation Vongola Family in appearance and personality—even to the point of using the same weapons! Some are more apparent than others.
- Alaude is basically a European Hibari, adding to the list in Hibari lookalikes with Fon.
- Lampo looks a lot more like Future Lambo in the anime. Interesting that he resembles the Adult Lambo appearance-wise but is more like Kid Lambo in maturity.
- Daemon Spade has more in common with Mukuro than Chrome, adding more evidence to the speculation of who the real Tenth Generation Mist Guardian is.
- Partially subverted with Knuckle as his first appearance resembled more like Yamamoto than Ryohei. Apparently, putting a Pointless Band-Aid (in the anime and some manga appearances) solves this.
- Hair Colors: Aside from D. Spade, it seems the main way to make these Guardians stand out from the current Generation is giving them completely different hair colors. Some even correspond to the types of flames they have.
- Posthumous Character: With the exception of Daemon Spade in the manga.
The Vongola's First Storm Guardian. Primo's childhood friend and eventual right-hand man in the first ever Vongola Family. Initially uses a gun
as a weapon but wields a bow and arrow
when carrying out Vongola duties.
Voiced by: Yuuki Masuda
- Asari Ugetsu
The Vongola's First Rain Guardian. A Japanese musician who sold his instruments for swords without hesitation when the Vongola was in danger. Calm and speaks in a very formal tone.
Voiced by: Shouma Yamamoto
The Vongola's First Lightning Guardian. A spoiled coward hailing from a royal family, Primo would force him into battle.
The Vongola's First Cloud Guardian. An aloof person who is head of a secret agency in an unknown country. He has a tendency to distance himself from the family but does show benevolence and compassion at times. In the manga, it's been revealed that he was Primo's strongest Guardian and was the first CEDEF External Advisor.
The Vongola's First Sun Guardian. A champion boxer who accidentally killed an opponent in the ring, leading him to become a priest to atone for his actions, never taking boxing again. That is, until the Vongola Family was in danger, giving himself three minutes to temporarily re-use his boxing skills.
- Daemon Spade
The Vongola's First Mist Guardian. Daemon Spade is a fickle illusionist
who would become a traitor to the First Generation Vongola.Mysteriously appears again in the manga, under the guise of Simon Family's Katou Julie, using Chrome as a hostage to get to Mukuro.
Voiced by: Atsushi Kousaka
- Affably Evil: To Mukuro, in Chapter 329. "Would you like a cup of tea?"
- All Your Powers Combined: On top of being a top notch Master of Illusion, Spade can control all of the Earth Flames and as of Chapter 338 and possesses black versions of the Vongola Gears.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Though he wasn't always. Evil, that is.
- Ax-Crazy: Implied, always in Chapter 329. He orders Enma to "Take Sawada's skull and crush it like glass", and then he laughs maniacally...
- Badass Longcoat: A central piece of his new outfit in the Inheritance Ceremony arc.
- Big Bad: Of the Inheritance Ceremony arc.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Known as a backstabber to Primo. He's somehow back in the manga under the Simon Family to betray Vongola again.
- Body Horror: Seems to be happening to his body. With two large eyes on his legs and a large mouth on his side which he speaks out of.
- The Chessmaster: Unfortunately, he lost against Mukuro. Oh, wait, he did that ON PURPOSE, so that he could steal Mukuro's body, thus becoming more powerful than almost every character in the series.
- Oh, and did I forget to mention that the elimination of almost every family close to Vongola, the massacre of 12 CEDEF members and the death of Enma's family, resulting in the Simon Family relations with Vongola being totally cut off, was all his doing?
- Creepy Blue Eyes/Icy Blue Eyes: Both.
- Death Dealer: Uses playing cards when invoking various illusions.
- Defector from Decadence: Daemon was a young aristocrat who was disgusted by the vices of his family.
- Dissonant Serenity
- Evil Laugh: "Nufufufufu.."
- Sound familiar? Change the "N" to a "K" and you have the exact replica of Mukuro's evil laugh.
- Freudian Excuse: Because the Vongola weakened their military forces, his lover was killed in the crossfire. This made Spade spend the next few centuries trying to strengthen the Vongola to avoid this tragedy again.
- Grand Theft Me: In the manga, he uses Julie as a vessel. He then plans to use Chrome as a means to take over Mukuro's body.
- It worked.
- In Chapter 344, he himself admits that since his death he's been jumping from one body to another in order to spy on the Vongola.
- High-Class Glass: His Devil Lens seems to be designed after this.
- Sort of justified, since he was an aristocrat.
- Hypnotic Eyes: Complete with a spade symbol on his right eye.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: All of his interactions with Chrome as Julie, from the kidnapping onwards, scream this trope.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: His new outfit as of Chapter 319, which includes black boots decorated by Too Many Belts and spades, fingerless gloves, an highly decorated belt, and a classical Badass Long Coat (with a hood added).
- Keigo: Although, like in Mukuro's case, slightly less polite due to his use of kimi and occasionally omae.
- Kick the Dog: When he's not acting like a flirtatious Lolicon around her, Daemon's rather sadistic towards Chrome.
- Love Makes You Evil: Apparently Spade's whole decent into madness started due to the love of his life dying as a result of Primo's pacifism.
- The Man Behind the Man: He's the one whose been pulling the strings throughout the entire Inheritance Ceremony arc.
- Manipulative Bastard: The man is somehow WORSE than Mukuro.
- Master of Illusion: From being able to fool Arcobaleno, dispelling other illusions to cursing someone by looking through his lens—this guy is scary.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Daemon Spade, was it?
- One-Winged Angel: All signs point to Spade having one given that once he managed to steal Mukuro's body, there's a tendency for him to suddenly gain eyes in random places as well as mouths as seen here.
- Out-Gambitted: Primo somehow got wind of Spade's plot to kill Cozarto, sent the rest of his Guardians to save him, and apparently succeeded. Spade was completely unaware of this until the memory of it was revealed when Kaoru forfeited.note Needless to say he wasn't happy...
- Rapunzel Hair: Seriously. In Mukuro's body, he's got hair long enough to rival Squalo's. Becomes Prehensile Hair when he decides to choke Tsuna after he blasts him with a huge fireball made from all the flame he had left. Poor, poor Tsuna...
- Really 700 Years Old: Spade is somehow still "alive" despite having lived TEN generations ago. Being able to possess people probably has something to do with it.
- Revenge Before Reason: Yes Spade, going crazy and manipulating/murdering countless people is exactly what your dead lover would have wanted you to do.
- Sinister Scythe: With a Blade on a Stick on the other end for good measure.
- Stalker with a Crush: At the beginning of the arc as Julie, he stalks Chrome, sometimes giving her more decent food and other items. Later, he kidnaps her, and tells Tsuna & Co. that she's "in his bed.".
- Slasher Smile: At the end of Chapter 335, coupled with a terrifying Nightmare Face.
- Visionary Villain: Daemon plans to make the perfect Vongola Family, by any means necessary.
- Walking Spoiler: There is a reason why he has more trope entries than any other of Giotto's Guardians.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: With a slight variation of the pineapple hairstyle. A lighter shade of blue/teal in the manga while in the calendar's manga-based art it's purple.
Not actually one of Vongola Primo's Guardians, Elena was the daughter of a Duke and the lover of Daemon Spade. She was instrumental in the creation of the Vongola Family.
Voiced by: N/A
Vongola Nono's Guardians
Badass-looking group of attractive old (and young) men who serve as Timoteo's guardians. When they appeared half of the fandom rejoiced because finally they have a set of adult bishounen to ogle. The rest were not very excited because their appearance creates another plot hole (See below). All guardians provide examples for these tropes:
- Adults Are Useless: Where are they when Xanxus kidnapped Nono and almost killed him? Despite their badass appearance, none of them can do anything when Simon Family attacked. And all of them are clueless about the history of Vongola.
- Unfortunate Names: All Nono's guardians are named after cakes or related words.
- The members:
- Coyote Nougat
- Schnitten Brabanters
- Brow Nie Jr.
- Ganauche III
- Bouche Croquant