open/close all folders
The lone survivor of Battleshire, Byron the Berserker is a calm, rational fighter cursed to go into a raging bloodlust if he cannot control his emotions. He acts as leader of the group for a time, until his curse is revealed and he passes official command to Syr'nj. He is still an effective field commander and leader, however, and creating an Adventurers' Guild was largely his idea.
- The Berserker: Plays the 'good' berserker trope straight in being anxious about the collateral damage his berserker rage causes and the loss of his sense of self.
A member of the royal family of wood elves, Syr'Nj is an alchemist and healer who left elven lands to prove that humans were worth saving. In the process, she became part of (and then leader of) the Peacemakers. After the attack on her ancestral homeland, she became leader of the wood elves, representing them on the Gastonian council.
- Our Elves Are Better: A subversion of sorts, while the Elves in general (apart from 'Shit' Elves, of course) are violently scathing of humans, Syr'Nj possesses no haughtiness and wishes to bridge the gap between the two species.
- The Medic: Fills the role through scientific means in the absence of more traditional fantasy healer archetypes.
- Meaningful Name: Her name is "Syr'Nj" or Syringe, and she's The Medic.
As a foul-mouthed youth, Frigg was sent to the Sisterhood of the Perpetual Bloodshot Eyeball to learn her place in society. She escaped, beat up a knight for his armor, and started adventuring. After she ran afoul of the Sisterhood again and defeated the Mother, the survivors began looking to her as an icon and a leader, to her intense displeasure. She joined the Peacemakers out of a surprisingly pure desire to keep her friends safe and protected. She has the power to conjure magickal constructs out of her own self-confidence, and a cryptic spirit guide who she finds annoying.
- Bokukko: Oddly enough. Normally, this trope only applies to languages that have gender-specific first-person pronouns, but the character has made enough grammatically masculine self-references to count as an English variation.
- Church Militant: A former member. After she tore it down, the survivors tried to follow her example.
- Super Toughness: The party's main 'tank'. She even refers to herself as a meat shield several times during combat, possibly as a shout out to traditional RPG party set-ups.
- The Paladin: Behind all the yelling and swearing and bloodlust, this is what she is. The holy powers and desire to protect her friends is surprisingly pure, all things considered.
The last of the Savasi mystics, Gravedust is perhaps the only dwarf opposing the World's Rebellion. He is calm and collected in all things, and uses his spiritual powers to provide the dead with final rest.
- Archer Archetype: A hell of a marksman in his own right, Gravedust's arrows are also enchanted by his magic for an extra edge.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Frigg asks if she can have it if he dies.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: A definite subversion, Gravedust is intelligent, patient, studious and is an expert marksman and mystic as opposed to a bruiser.
- The Unfunny: When he and Bandit need to infiltrate a comedy club, he's the one who ends up on stage. Bandit says that half the time she can't look at him without laughing.
Payet Best was a humble and friendly young man until a bit of confusion behind a prophecy ended with him believing that he was the Chosen One. After some time of having everything handed to him on a silver platter, the friendly man was replaced by a colossal douchebag who thought he was the only important person in the world. That being said, he was still a powerful bard and gifted warrior, and was very helpful during his brief stint with the Peacemakers.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Comes across as a lazy douche, however when the fighting starts Payet is a skilled fighter and bard.
- Our Elves Are Better: He is a 'Shit Elf', an elf that has lost touch with his inherent magical culture, so he's a definite subversion in that regard.
A gnomish thief who was first encountered robbing Syr'nj, she was able to earn her admission into the group after helping them escape from a prison cell/accidental death trap. She is friendly, kind, and more than a little kleptomaniac, but she tries to suppress her darker natures in order to fit in better.
- Loveable Rogue: Though she is quite obviously a thief and a liar, she's never done anything to make the main characters mistrust her. Hell, even when she was stealing things back home, she'd try to take only what people didn't need. Sometimes, she'd steal people's tools and replace them with better tools! (According to her, at least.)
- Our Gnomes Are Weirder: Not tremendously strange, but she does play the trope straight by being chirpy and mischievous.
- Player Character: She's a PC, played by a young woman named Chrissie.
- Sticky Fingers: Though she seems to have some control over her kleptomania.
One of the nuns of the Sisterhood of the Perpetual Bloodshot Eyeball, Rachel saw the light when she witnessed Frigg set her leader on fire. She decided to follow the woman in every way, even trying to talk and act like her, which annoys Frigg to no end. She has similar magickal abilities to Frigg, though hers tend a bit more towards healing than offense.
- Abhorrent Admirer: As far as Frigg is concerned.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: Rachel does have a sword, but she rarely uses it, mainly relying on her martial arts skills.
- Love You and Everybody: She actually invokes this to explain to E-merl why she can't be in a relationship with him; her beliefs demand that she love everyone and everything equally and unconditionally. Not that she seems too happy about it.
- Player Character: She's a PC, played by a middle-aged woman named Lia.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: Can enchant her body to give her super strength in hand to hand combat. This power manifests itself in a holy aura around her fists and feet when she strikes.
A street magician with real magick, E-Merl uses his minor spells combined with his impressive cunning to create clever tricks that are quite useful in combat. He can be a bit awkward socially at times, but he joined the Peacemakers for all the right reasons.
- Perpetual Poverty: Despite dropping out of magick college, he's still magickally bound to repay the full tuition, with interest. Any money he gets is automatically teleported to the school.
- Player Character: He's a PC, played by a young man named Daniel.
- Squishy Wizard: Unlike the other characters, E-Merl possesses no combat skills. He does, however, have the most powerful offensive spells.
- Street Performer: How E-Merl makes his living when not adventuring.
Scipio the Scorpion
A man of few words but awesome fighting skills. He's big, he's strong, and good at hitting things.
- Interspecies Romance: He starts dating Fr'Nj, Syr'Nj's sister, after the events of the forst.
open/close all folders
The World's Rebellion
The "Savage Races" at war with Gastonia for the very real racism that the humans have shown them in the past. They are led by Harky, troll avatar of the god Tectonicus, but also count goblins, gnolls, land sharks, and even dwarves among their number.
- Anti-Villain: Very few of the characters we've met have come off as overtly evil.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: They attack Gastonia and its allies viciously, even coming close to wiping out the wood elves. However, they're also a backlash against Gastonia's abysmal treatment of anyone who isn't human.
Avatar of the god Tectonicus, Harky is the High Chieftain of the World's Rebellion. He is a troll blessed with healing abilities excessive even by their standards, and possesses the wisdom necessary to lead his multi-racial coalition.
- Doomed Hometown: According to Penk, he managed to avert this singlehandedly, making his village the first to survive an attack by human invaders.
- Interspecies Romance: He's in one with Gondolessa.
- Passing the Torch: Does this for Penk, giving him the opportunity to become an avatar of Tectonicus and become one of the Champions.
Penk, initially a drummer and temporarily Harky's herald, is the newest avatar of Tectonicus and the leader of the World's Rebellion champions, their answer to the Peacemakers.
- Badass Boast: Delivers one to the Peacemakers.Penk: There is nothing that you can build that we will not tear down. There is no land that you can take that we will not reclaim. For my god is a fiery, vengeful god. It is by his will that we live to face you again. Pray to your own gods...while you can.
- Flaming Sword: His most basic ability is to set his mace on fire.
- From Nobody to Nightmare/Took a Level in Badass: Depending on whether you look at him from a Gastonian or a Rebellion point of view, either of these tropes could apply. He starts out as Harky's herald and ultimately becomes an avatar of Tectonicus.
- Instrument of Murder: His drum can be used as one.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": His view of Harky, especially when first introduced.Penk: What do you even say to him? "Pleased to make your acquaintance, savior of my people. Huge fan of your work. Can I shake your hand?"
- Large and in Charge: He got bigger(and buffer) when he became an avatar of his god, and also became the leader of the Champions.
- Super Senses: Gained them after becoming an avatar.
- Warrior Monk: After he becomes an avatar of Tectonicus.