This is a listing of the people and regions of Essos that appear in the Fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire that do not have enough members or tropes to justify their own page (yet). Visit here for the main character index.
open/close all folders
Other regions of Essos
A land to the south of the Dothraki Sea inhabited by a peaceful group of sheepherders. It is routinely raided by the Dothraki for slaves.
Tropes related to Lhazar:
- Animal Motifs: As a pacifistic herding culture, they are known by the Dothraki as the Lamb Men. A Lhazarene former slave who Ser Barristan takes under his wing is known as the Red Lamb for his fury in battle.
Mirri Maz Duur
Mirri Maz Durr
A wise woman of one of the villages raided by Khal Drogo, her life is saved by Daenerys, who uses her as a healer.
- A Fate Worse Than Death: She considers being raped several times and the destruction of her temple this.
- Anti-Villain: Genuinely believes that killing Rhaego and rendering Drogo helpless is for the greater good, and may be right.
- Black Magic: Uses this to treat Khal Drogo's wounds at Daenerys request. She is in fact making his wound worse, and kills Daenerys unborn child and renders Drogo catatonic.
- Burn The ''Maegi'': Though it's less because she's a witch and more because she betrayed Daenerys.
- Defiant to the End: Vows to not scream when Daenerys orders her thrown onto Drogo's funeral pyre. Daenerys simply says that she will, but she only needs Duur's life. Duur fails to keep her vow.
- False Friend: She's even listed as one of these in the appendixes
- Kill Her With Fire: Her punishment for the death of Rhaego and saving Drogo's life but leaving him brain dead.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Her vengeance upon Khal Drogo.
- Rape and Revenge: She had already been raped several times by the time Daenerys "rescued" her, and she takes revenge by manipulating Daenerys, killing her unborn child, rendering Drogo catatonic, which breaks his huge Khalasar apart into several competing groups making the Dothraki much less of a threat to other cities.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She appears only in the last third of Game of Thrones, and is partly responsible for shaping Daenerys into the woman she became.
An ancient trade city located on the southern coast of Essos, to the west of Slaverís Bay. It is ruled by the Pureborn, descendants of the ancient kings and queens of Qarth. However, powerful trade guilds also vie for power in the city: the Thirteen, the Tourmaline Brotherhood, and the Ancient Guild of Spicers. It is the gateway between the western half of Essos and the isolated lands in the far eastern portion of the continent. It is also home to the House of the Undying, the headquarters of the Warlocks of Qarth.
Tropes related to Qarth:
Xaro Xhoan Daxos
Xaro Xhoan Daxos
A merchant who is a member of the Thirteen, a powerful faction of merchants in Qarth.
- Ambiguously Gay: Daenerys notices how he pays no attention to her bare breast when she wears a typical Qartheen dress - unlike Ser Jorah who remains Distracted by the Sexy - and how his servants are all pretty boys dressed in silk.
- Bald of Ambiguous Evil
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Xaro never drops his polite veneer, even when threatening Daenerys. It's a Qartheen thing.
- Crocodile Tears: Qartheen are expected to shed tears whenever they emote. If Xaro starts to tear up, he's making a transparent attempt to emotionally manipulate someone.
- Even Evil Has Standards: While Daenerys stayed with him in Qarth, he wanted nothing more than a dragon. After seeing what they did in Astapor, Xaro tells Daenerys he no longer wants one, and in fact seems ready to do anything to ensure that they are killed or get as far away from Essos as possible.
- False Friend: All he wants from Daenerys are her dragons.
- A Man Of Wealth And Taste
- This Means War!: After Daenerys refuses to leave Meereen with her army, Xaro leaves a bloodstained glove behind as a declaration of war on her.
Quaithe of the Shadow
"Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."
A priestess of Asshai and shadowbinder who gives mysterious messages to Daenerys, even from thousands of miles away.