Ghost Shipping is what happens when fans of a work Ship an active character with a canonically dead character. By dead, we mean really dead, not Only Mostly Dead or The Undead. We do make some exceptions, of course. If the shipping is set before the character dies, it isn't an example. If the shipping is set after the character is raised in canon, it isn't an example. This trope only has examples for when fans have a character currently dead by canon shipped with an active character. When this Audience Reaction gets put into fan works, a number of tropes can develop:
- The Lost Lenore, as the living character does not accept the loss of their love as reason sufficient to end their relationship.
- Schrödinger's Cast, as the fanfic began before the original work killed the character, and continues with an active (but dead in canon) character.
- Resurrected Romance, as the dead character loves too much to leave, and finds a way back.
- Necromantic, as the living character cannot allow their love to remain dead, and found a way to bring them back.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The titular InuYasha is still in love with dead priestess Kikyo. He then meets her reincarnation, Kagome. So regardless of when fans ship him with Kikyo or Kagome, he gets shipped with two characters who are technically the same person. Later in the story, Kikyo is resurrected, negating this trope during that time.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: Any shipping of Priest Seto and Kisara after the latter's Heroic Sacrifice. (Kisara is the spirit who made the Blue Eyes White Dragon.) This includes most forms of Seto Kaiba/ Kisara, unless it's presented as a Reincarnation Romance instead.
- In Harry Potter, Harry gets shipped with Moaning Myrtle due to her flirting with him and later spying on him in the bath.
- In Warrior Cats, the StarClan and the Dark Forest cats can still interact with the living, so many fans have made pairings based on this. Examples include Firestar/Spottedleaf, Ivypool/Hawkfrost, and Jayfeather/Brightspirit.
- During some runs in NTWF Mafia, deaths and shipping go hand in hand between players. The first run has Meowington/Ariana and Robyn/Icon. The Aifam run had Kylie/Lucille and Prof. Bardsley/Diana Pallada.
- In PJO Facebook Shenanigans, which is based on Percy Jackson and the Olympians, one pairing that formed was Hades/Maria.
- Homestuck: Almost any pairing with Aradia post mortem is this trope, with the canon example of Aradia/Equius.
- There's also shipping living characters with those in the dreambubbles, the pseudo-afterlife filled with "dream ghosts."