Gaist Gear On!]]
The story takes place Twenty Minutes into the Future
. A new crystalline energy source has been discovered, but with it comes a breed of rampaging monsters: The Gaist. By using the materials that the crystals are made of, the government has developed Powered Armor
that allows people to stand a fighting chance against these monstrosities. These soldiers have aptly been named Gaist Crushers.
Enter Recka. No, not that
Recca. He's an average middle schooler
who definitely would love to become a Gaist Crusher, but isn't qualified to take the exam. However, he happens to be in the right place at the right time during a Gaist attack, and is forced to don the Gaist Crusher armor in order to defend his friends. While he does return the armor,the Gaist Crusher Garrison,or GCG, the organization in charge of the Gaist Crushers, quickly recruits him to become a full fledged Gaist Crusher.
An anime by Studio Pierrot
began airing in the Fall 2013 anime season, written by Reiko Yoshida, better known as the person who was the head writer of Digimon Adventure
. An action RPG of the same name was later released in December 5,2013,along with merchandise,some of which are 'Gai-metal' that can be used in the game. Two manga series were released:the main adaptation of the anime,and Gaist Crusher First,a prequel to the main story that focuses on Rock Volcan's earlier years. A sequel,called Gaist Crusher God
was announced and sets to be released on September 4,2014. You can see the trailer here
This work contains examples of:
- Artistic License - Geology: Gaimetal is said to be mined 50km underground. The actual thickness of the Earth's crust is less than a fifth of that on average.
- Awesome, yet Impractical: The Gaist Gear's Extreme Form,in which Gaist Crushers will be transformed into the Gaist version of their respective Gaist Gear,whilst straining the user's body(such as Recka's Flame Fenrir Gear turned him into a gigantic wolf).Doubles as Painful Transformation.
- Adaptive Armor: The Gaist Gear can enhanced the user's physical strength,as well capable of turning into a weapon,and if it reaches a certain limit,can turn its user into a Gaist.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: All of the Gaist Crushers have a specific Chromatic Arrangement.
- Color-Coded Characters: Few of the characters,particularly the main cast,are these.The main teens,however,has clothing and aura to matches their respective personality and role in the series overall.
- Rekka: Red
- Sango: Magenta Red/Pink
- Hayato: Green
- Kohaku: Yellowish Brown
- Kurama: Brown/Yellow
- Midori: Light Blue
- Siren: Blue/Navy Blue
- Izuna: Purple/Black
- Rin: White/Cyan
- Crowning Moment Of Awesome: Many.
- For instance,Recka takes advantage of the GCG's Bullet Train to defeat a Gaist while it was stunned.
- On episode 12,even Sango has to pull off a Big Damn Heroes on a weaken Hayato and Kurama,and finally,Rekka,before the Gaimetal fortress collapse.
- Creature Hunter Organization: The titular Gaist Crushers, who are the ones specifically trained and equipped for crushing Gaists.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique / Deadly Upgrade: Extreme form, which is hard to control and can turn the user into Gaist.
- Evil Wears Black: Izuna,in his Lightning Dragoon.
- Determinator: Played straight with Recka. Basically,a major requirement for Gaist Crushers.
- Idiot Hero: Recka, specifically in the academic sense. His family is astonished when they find him diligently studying the information most Gaist Crushers are taught in training.
- It Began with a Twist of Fate: Recka being in the right place at the right time.
- Kid Hero: Recca, all of the most powerful Crushers, and most of the GCG staff. No explanation for this has been given.
- Luminescent Blush: Sango Sakura has these,especially when near Recka.
- Meaningful Name: A LOT of the characters and Gaist in both media has meaningful names.Take Recka Shirogane for example.When translated,it was "Silver Flame",hence his Gaist Art(while in his Flame Fenrir Gaist Gear). In fact,in episode 2,Recka find out that he and Sango were in the same age,which is 13,and even goes as to lampshade that his surname suffice the number 13.
- Another case,from some of the Gaist Art(from the game),such as Hayato's.
- Merchandise-Driven: This anime exists to promote the 3DS game of the same name and a few related merchandise.
- Red-Headed Hero: Recka. Sango is a mild version of these
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Rekka's eyes turns fiery whenever he is fired up!
- Running Gag: Has a few throughout the show,and that includes Breaking the Fourth Wall moments!
- Recca is almost always useless in battle until his sister drops off some of his father's curry, at which point he gets a power up and starts actually being worth something in battle.
- Volcan Rock's Delayed Reaction also counts.
- Everytime Rin Shirogane has another one of those Glowing Eyes of Doom. Even Volcan Rock couldn't get away with it.
- Generally,many of the characters has many goofy faces to go with the light-heartedness of the show.
- Ship Tease: LOTS of Rekka-and-Sango teases all over the place.Even Kurama and Midori has one!
- Shout-Out: There are a lot of GaoGaiGar references, but subtle ones.
- Spell My Name with an S: Is it Recka,or Rekka?The japanese website of both the anime and the game uses the latter.
- The Stoic: Siren
- Verbal Tic: Hayato usually uses "Golden" as an adjective.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Hayato