- Alternative Character Interpretation: Is Clip just an annoying brat, who's in way over his head or is he actually a herald of Mother Dark in a Revenge by Proxy situation involving Rake?
- Crazy Is Cool: The Trygalle Trade Guild, after crashlanding in a water Warren, decide their best bet to travel further is by riding a tsunami with a horse carriage.
- Jerkass Woobie: Clip may not be the nicest person to have around, but getting his soul ripped out of his body and falling into a coma for most of the book's middle part, then being possessed by an unhinged deity only to end up not being able to fulfill his goal because Anomander Rake already went and sacrificed himself can make anyone a little cranky.
- Like You Would Really Do It: There are significant deaths in Toll the Hounds that impact the whole world in a big way.
- Love to Hate: Kallor gets to show his Hidden Depths in this book. It doesn't make him any less of a Jerkass.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Nimander is a competent if reluctant leader, but nobody looks good when compared to Anomander Rake.
- Too Cool to Live: Murillio dies suddenly and while trying to rescue a child. Also Hood and Anomander Rake, but their incredible prowess is what makes their plan work in the first place.
- Tough Act to Follow: The climax of Toll the Hounds is considered by many to be the best of the whole series.
- Ugly Cute: Chillbais, the fat, winged, toadlike demon working for Baruk.
- The Woobie: Cutter, after all he's been through, now has to learn, that he changed so much since Gardens of the Moon, that he feels like a foreigner in Darujhistan. Then his affair with youthful love interest Challice ends in him killing her husband and her committing suicide because of it, and he realizes that the one girl he really loves is probably continents away from him. He ends the book completely disilusioned.
YMMV / Toll the Hounds