- Awesome Music: The SAGE 2012 soundtrack, made by Falk, KgZ, Andy Tunstall & Funk Fiction, is absolutely amazing. The Soundtrack can be listened to and downloaded on the Sonic BTS YouTube Channel
- What's even more awesome is that Jun Senoue sent KgZ an email praising the soundtrack.
- This trope is one way to tell if you got the good ending or not. If the decidedly less climactic credits theme of Sonic 3D Blast starts playing, you failed. If you get Sonic the Hedgehog 2's ending theme, you did it.
- Also, the OverClocked ReMix of Sky Sanctuary used in Cloudy Crowd Act 3, the boss, and the cutscenes around it. Wow.
- One notable song is Metro Madness Act 1
- Best Boss Ever: The True Final Boss, as it feels like such a great reward for getting the good ending. The cutscene preceding the boss and the music don't hurt either.
- Goddamn Bats: The Ryu Turtle Robots. They can be a bit annoying, since they are sometimes placed in places where they're guaranteed to hit you with a Hadouken. The ones that do the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku are somewhat easier to avoid, however.
- Nightmare Fuel: The drowning music, especially if you run into the bubble glitch in Perilous Paradise and can't get air...
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The way you enter Hidden Palace in the port of Sonic 2 is eerily similar to how Tails enters Lost Levels in this game.
- That One Level: Perilous Paradise, due to a glitch causing the amount of time you can spend underwater without air to be low, which is compounded in the SAGE 2012 release with the glitch that speeds up the air timer if the game lags, and there's a glitch in the SAGE 2012 Version where if you try to get a bubble, it might not register and you end up drowning.
YMMV / Sonic: Before the Sequel