- Award Snub: Being an Epic Film, this film had potential to be an Oscar Bait movie. It was way too pro-Communistic for its own good, and the extreme Gorn and sexual content likely didn't help, either.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: The cat-headbutting scene. You know, because Attila was EVIL.
- Complete Monster: Attila is a sadistic fascist who lords over the workers on his estate, killing and imprisoning them as he wishes. Atilla massacres peasants to confiscate their lands, murders a wealthy widow to steal her estate, and in his most vile action, rapes and then murders a little boy who was the son of one of his most fervent supporters.
- Genius Bonus: This film, suffice to say, will make much better sense if you have a cursory knowledge of Italian history, years 1900 to 1945.
- Ho Yay: Olmo and Alfredo, big time. As boys, they examine each others' penises. As adults, when both are in bed with the same woman, one jokes about groping the other's penis.
- Moral Event Horizon: Attila gets several. He goes from headbutting a kitten to death, to raping a young boy and smashing apart his head against a wall, to gleefully executing local communists.
- Narm: In one scene, a peasant cuts his ear off. It's meant to be horrifying, but a combination of Special Effects Failure and the fact that the peasant doesn't so much as blink spoils it. Also, the aforementioned splattering of the little boy's head against a wall. It, too, is meant to be horrifying, but it splatters just like a watermelon.
- Special Effects Failure: The aforementioned ear-cutting and head-splattering. Also, the scenes with snow. It resembles shaving cream.
- Squick: One scene features a pig being gutted. Another features a man masturbating a horse's anus to try and get it to defecate so he can throw its feces at Attila.
YMMV / Novecento