- Fan-Disliked Explanation: The novelization explains Twilight Sparkle's appearance in the shorts despite her being in Equestria until Rainbow Rock as they're just her fantasizing about being there. Fans viewed this a cop-out, prefering to believe they took place after the movie.
- Les Yay: The song "Friendship Through the Ages" has Sunset dancing with the Mane Six in various backdrops to different genres of music. Twilight's segment? Has her playing piano in an empty ballroom. With Sunset sitting on the piano watching her. Twilight then stands up and moves towards Sunset to take her hands; though they don't, it seriously looks like the two were about to dance together. The fact that it takes place with a piano, like the above scene, hasn't gone unnoticed either.
- Memetic Mutation:
- A few frames from the trailer (coming from "Music to My Ears") are of a cop doing a move similar to "The Robot". Some fans toyed with the name "Officer Pootang Mang".
- After the image of Sunset's three portraits in the first movie went memetic with the third picture being replaced by something else, "My Past Is Not Today" has Sunset taking down the portraits and throwing them away, prompting the response from fans "guess she got tired of the meme."
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The melody of "Music to My Ears" in the DJ Pon-3 short is almost identical to that of "Bullseye" by KDrew.
- Win Back the Crowd:
- A lot of skeptics were impressed by the "Music to My Ears" trailer.
- The shorts in general have been winning over the crowd, even those who didn't like the first film.
YMMV / My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Rainbow Rocks Shorts