- Author's Saving Throw: Fantastic Four 2099 was supposed to star the actual Fantastic Four, briefly brought to the year 2099 by accident and trying to find their way home/save the world. It ended with The Thing getting killed in a shuttle accident, and the rest of the team promptly forgetting he ever existed and going home without him. Manifest Destiny gave a different explanation: the team was actually Artificial Humans created by the Watcher, because he thought his old allies would be able to help save the dying Earth. All four are brought back into existence in the end.
- Complete Monster: See here.
- Dork Age: Cavalieri's firing and the ensuing Writer Revolt unsurprisingly led to this.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Spider-Man 2099 is beloved by many. The video games boosted his popularity too.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- With a hint of irony. During his early Spider-Man works, Spider-Man 2099 writer Peter David, working on the advice of fellow writers and editorsnote "revealed" that Ned Leeds was the original Hobgoblin—which several fans thought was questionable given how Leeds died and the original Hobgoblin mystery writer, Roger Stern, came back and revealed that it wasn't the case. David had intended Father Jennifer to be the (Green) Goblin 2099, but it was revealed that Gabriel O'Hara was Goblin 2099 (though this was later retconned to be an imposter). Someone had to appreciate the irony, even if (as the link shows) David himself doesn't. And much like Stern with Roderick Kingsley, Peter David did ultimately reveal that Jennifer was indeed the Goblin.
- This verse's Ghost Rider is named Kenshiro...who is technically already dead.
- As "One Nation Under Doom" drew to a close, Herod created a Captain America clone as a puppet with the cover story that history had repeated itself and Steve Rogers was frozen in ice and revived yet again. Manifest Destiny reveals the fate of the real Steve Rogers; as it turns out, history really did repeat itself...
- Moral Event Horizon: Herod crosses it big time when wipes out ALL of Latveria.
- The Scrappy: Punisher 2099 and Ravager 2099 are the most-hated series in the 2099 line for being generic and crappy '90s Anti-Hero comics. What fans exist of Jake Gallows mostly claim him to be a Stealth Parody.
YMMV / Marvel 2099