- Broken Base: An extremely polarizing director. He is often listed as both one of the best and one of the worst contemporary filmmakers.
- Dork Age: From The Village to After Earth, he received very negative reviews and was widely considered to be a bad director, with The Last Airbender seen as the nadir of his career. This ended with Wayward Pines , after which he directed the critically acclaimed The Visit and Split. In 2019, Glass appears to have started another one. Only time will tell.
- Never Live It Down: Many people will never forgive him for The Last Airbender.
- Snark Bait: He was a common punchline from 2010 until 2015, and some still do it in spite of his modest Career Resurrection.
- Scapegoat Creator: Many fans of the original Nickelodeon series blame Shyamalan for everything bad related to The Last Airbender, especially the controversial - and full of Unfortunate Implications - casting, however there are testimonials on the Internet that indicate that many of the most unpopular decisions They were the product of executive interference. And that Shyamalan, perhaps out of pride, preferred to take full responsibility instead of admitting that he did not have total creative control over his film. Other people indicate that Hollywood has a long history of systematically excluding Asian actors, so it is unfair to blame everything on Shyamalan.
YMMV / M. Night Shyamalan