- Americans Hate Tingle: While the Hydlide games are fairly well-known and well-received in Japan, they're not very popular in North America due to being released after games like The Legend of Zelda were released and a horrible NES port.
- Porting Disaster: An infamous example in that the NES version of Hydlide is regarded as one of the worst games in the system's library.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny: This game was revolutionary when it first released in 1984, paving the way for later action RPG franchises like The Legend of Zelda and Ys. But by the time it released in North America in 1989, Hydlide ended up looking very outdated and primitive compared to the likes of Zelda and Ys. Not helping is that the version North America received, the NES port, was absolutely terrible.
- So Okay, It's Average: Super Hydlide is seen as this by some people. While no where near a great game, Super Hydlide does have some good concepts, is much more tolerable than other entries, has better music, and it's the only entry where you fight in space.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: The intro theme of Hydlide II, which was later reused as the NES version's theme (which plays nonstop throughout the game) sounds an awful lot like "The Raiders March" from Indiana Jones.
YMMV / Hydlide