- Face of the Band: Either Syu or Yama-B depending on who you ask.
- Fandom Rivalry: With DragonForce, approaching "Metallica vs. Megadeth" levels of rivalry in some circles.
- Also an internal one due to a Broken Base: Yama-B fans versus Ono fans.
- Follow the Leader: Despite having dropped almost all their visual flair, they're still blatantly worshipping classic Visual bands such as X Japan as well as non-VK metal acts.
- Idiot Ball: The entire attempt at cloning X Japan could be seen as this. It ruined the friendship between Syu and Yama-B for a while, it made the band lose Yama-B, it didn't really appeal to anyone (as in, it made the existing neoclassical/thrash/Power Metal fanbase walk away in disgust at the crooning and poppy ballads thinking the band was over or going to be soon, and didn't really appeal to the ballad-side fandom for X Japan since X Japan itself was a somewhat active band at the time)
- Replacement Scrappy: Ono.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks!: A lot of fans hate that they've mostly abandoned neo-classical metal in recent years. The fact that this lead to Yama-B's departure doesn't help.
- With their 2012 and 2014 albums (mostly) taking the band back to their neo-classical roots, some fans may have a change of heart about it, but the vocals still suck (Ono is not suited for metal and is heavily autotuned) and Yu-To's distinct bassline is gone.
YMMV / Galneryus