- Awesome Music: Dan and Sean performing Toccatta and Fuge in D Minor on guitar. They'd both been dumped by their love interests, so they lick each other's wounds by playing together. Despite a hiatus of more than 6 years, their musical skills are flawless.
- Crosses the Line Twice:
- Kevin having a heart attack while Sean is manning the barbecue. Sean is torn between helping his dad and making sure the shrimp on the barbie aren't overcooked.
- Grandma finally passes on. Her wheelchair then rolls forward and dumps her body into the newly-installed swimming pool.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Dan gets some alone time with his grandmother and finds out that they're Not So Different. The very next episode ends up being her final Christmas.
- Jerkass Woobie: Sean's not the nicest bloke, but being strung along and lead to believe that he's the father of his girlfriend's new baby is still hard to watch.
- One-Scene Wonder: Mark Heap has a cameo in the very first scene where he bears witness to Dan's girlfriend dumping him.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- Dan's first kiss with Cora...shortly after he'd thrown up in front of everyone.
- Dan invites a homeless woman to Christmas lunch with the rest of the family. She mentions using Kevin's razor on her bikini line.
- Bridget and Roger having sex in Sean's bedroom.
- "Can you tell the difference between a man's ear and a woman's in the dark?"
- Oksana offers to do a threesome with Sean and Bridget.
- Tear Jerker:
- Dan finding out that Cora is engaged to Hayden seconds after making a big love confession. Hayden rubbing salt into the wound is also pretty hard to watch.
- Grandma's funeral. Dan just looks like he's done with Christmas and Cora breaks down when she realises this might be the last time she sees him.
- The Woobie:
- Dan. His girlfriend dumped him at the airport and the only other woman he has a real connection with is going steady with his cousin.
- Bridget has to deal with the fact that her marriage is a sham and her plans to have a baby keep getting put off year by year, with her first attempt resulting in a miscarriage.
YMMV / A Moody Christmas