A British stop-motion series made in 1983, focusing on the lives of lighthouse-keeper Portland Bill and his friends.
Tropes in this series:
- Close-Knit Community: The villagers of McGuillycuddy, as shown in the episode The Shopping List, when everyone chips in to help Eddy Stone to fill a grocery order that's bigger than what he sells in a month.
- New Job as the Plot Demands: Eddy Stone is the Shopkeeper, meter reader, electrician, milkman, policeman and Mayor of McGuillycuddy.
- Punny Name: Most of the characters are named after Sea Areas. Portland Bill himself, his assistants Ross and Cromarty and Eddy Stone (after Eddystone Rocks).
- Scotireland: Everyone's accent, with a bit of Welsh mixed in for good measure, although possibly justified as the setting is a fictitious island somewhere in the Irish Sea and populated by people whose ancestors came from all of the above.
- Slice of Life: It's a whimsical look at life in a lighthouse and coastal town.
- Team Dad: Bill often has to play father, defusing the arguments between his two bickering assistants, Ross and Cromarty. He even refers to Ross as a Growing Lad in one episode.
- Trickster Mentor: Bill is not above pranking his two assistants, though sometimes it's to stop their bickering, like when he tied their fishing lines together during their fishing contest. There was also the time he tricked Cromarty by pretending that he could tell the time by reading seaweed like a clock.