The World in Deeper Inspection is a Historical Fantasy Webcomic. Starting in 2013, the main story focuses on Alcott Grimsley, a Jersey Devil detective in Victorian England, who works to bring peace to the souls of the recently deceased.
An additional story, The Carpet Merchant of Konstantiniyya, focuses on one of Alcott's friends, a vampire named Mehmed Zeynel Abidin deCordoba (or Zeynel for short). The comic follows his past as a normal carpet merchant 200 years prior to the main story, how he became a vampire, and how he got to Brookham. The first volume has been released as physical books, while the hardcover copies of the second volume are still being funded.
This webcomic provides examples of the following tropes:
- Badass Bookworm: Zeynel is a thin, studious man who runs Brookham Night's postal system and organises the Night Market. However, as a vampire, he is more than capable of putting up a fight.
- Bazaar of the Bizarre: The Night Market is frequented by many denizens of Brookham Night, and sells many items, both mystical and mundane.
- A Day in the Limelight: The Carpet Merchant of Konstantiniyya, a two-volume comic, focuses entirely on Zeynel's past, detailing how he became a carpet merchant, and later a vampire.
- Gentle Giant: Bronx is significantly taller and broader than the rest of the main cast, but he has a very laid-back attitude and is an enthusiastic cat-lover.
- The Jersey Devil: Alcott Grimsley is a Jersey Devil, but has a few differences from most versions. His bat-like wings are smaller, his equine head is skeletal, and he is civilized rather than feral. He is scary to normal humans, though.
- Skull for a Head: Alcott's head closely resembles a horse skull, and is seemingly devoid of eyes.