Government issued Loveless™ pills were designed to regulate romantic emotions and avoid the complications of falling in love. But when Darcy forgets to take his daily dose and starts seeing color for the first time, a pair of blue eyes become his new obsession.
This webcomic provides examples of the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Darcy's mother seems neglectful at best, completely blind to her troubled son even as it becomes clear that he is ill. Considering she is first seen trying to get her daughter to take her Loveless, this could be because she takes it as well.
- Color Motif: Encountering certain characters triggers Darcy seeing certain colors, thus they are intrinsically tied to said colors.
- Roman is Blue. The first time he sees blue is in his eyes and it is more noticeable when he is around. Even his last name — "Bleu" — is just the word "blue" with the vowels switched.
- Blaise is Green. Darcy starts seeing green when he appears and Darcy become insanely jealous of how close he is with Roman.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Much like with real-life takers of prescribed depressants, Darcy seems to suffer from a form of depression and emotional numbness due to his continuous taking of Loveless.
- Fantastic Drug: Loveless™ is a drug provided by the government that suppresses one's ability to love, coming in pill form for teens and adults and a vitamin-rich syrup form for children. This doesn't seem to apply to sexual attraction, Darcy's friends flirting with other people, and Roman and Blaise acting in a sexual relationship.
- Friends with Benefits: Darcy's jealousy of Blaise is not entirely unfounded, as he is in a sexual relationship with Roman.
- Love Is a Crime: Zig-Zagged. The society in the setting seems to portray love less like a common emotion and more like an illness with symptoms that can be elevated through medication. It is never outright stated just how hard the government cracks down on acting on the emotion beyond a Propaganda Machine shown in schools in the form of the cartoon clown LuLu, Darcy's friends constantly flirting with each other with no perceived fear of penalty.
- Monochrome to Color: One of the side effects to Loveless seems to be an inability to see color, the first thing happening to Darcy after he forgets to take his pill is that he starts seeing the spectrum blue before the other colors slowly come after.
- Non-Ironic Clown: LuLu is a Rubber Hose-style cartoon clown made to instruct children to take Loveless. She seems to be a fairly popular character, having her own merchandise for sale.
- Pretty Boy: Roman is noticeably effeminate, flirtatious, has big expressive blue eyes and a beauty mark.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome: On top of his crush on Roman and starting to see colors for the first time, Darcy starts going through severe width-draw symptoms when he stops taking Loveless, including shivers, an upset stomach and fatigue.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: When Darcy's infatuation with Roman starts, he confuses his crush for a sickness. This is certainly not helped when he starts suffering from withdrawal symptoms.