- Amateur Cast: The child actors were hired from an open casting call in Miami.
- Enforced Method Acting: The three actors playing Chiron didn't meet during filming to avoid them copying each other's acting styles.
- Fake American: Naomie Harris is English.
- Market-Based Title: Released in China under the title The Moon Loves Blue. (This is somewhat similar to the title of part of the film's source material, In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue, but completely different from the name of the film itself.)
- No Budget: Made for $1.5 million, it's now the lowest budget film to win Best Picture. (Some estimates of the budget have $4 million instead; it's not clear which is correct.)
- Sleeper Hit: The movie went from virtually unknown to making at least 16 and possibly as many as 43 times its budget at the box officenote and winning three Oscars, including Best Picture.
- Star-Making Role: Mahershala Ali already had a respectable career before this movie, but his performance as Juan and the subsequent Oscar win is what made him a household name.
- Throw It In!: The scene of Juan teaching Chiron how to swim was originally going to be longer and more dialogue-heavy, but an incoming storm cut back on their shooting time. The darkening clouds ended up giving the sequence far more dramatic heft, and turned it into something of a Signature Scene.
- Write What You Know: Director Jenkins and playwright McCraneynote grew up in Liberty Square, where much of the film takes place. In fact, Jenkins was able to shoot there undisturbed since he still had relatives living in the area.
Trivia / Moonlight