- Box Office Bomb: Barely averted. Depending on sources, the final profit was anywhere between 100 thousand dollars to 2 million. Which with a budget of 100 million still looks bad.
- Dueling Movies: Red Planet was released in the same year, with a little better polish in the science of the film, and Ghosts of Mars was released the following year. This film made double the combined box-office that those films did, and was also the best-reviewed, though that really isn't saying a whole lot.
- Science Marches On: The Face on Mars at Cydonia was shown in later, less blurry, photos to actually have almost no resemblance to a human face whatsoever.
- Some of the props and part of the spaceship set are now on the Mission: SPACE attraction at EPCOT Center in Florida (with the attraction's opening film starring Gary Sinise, to boot).
- Gary's gone with the last refurb, sadly.
- There's a Hidden Mickey (albeit accidental) in the scene where Mars II shuttle approaches Mars.
Trivia / Mission to Mars