- Big Name Fan: Donald Trump said it's his favorite film during his 2016 Presidenital campaign. Though he also admits he fast-forwards through the story sequences.
- Cast the Expert: Paulo Tocha, who plays the Muay Thai fighter Paco, is actually a real life Muay Thai champion.
- Completely Different Title: The film was called Contacto sangriento ("Bloody Contact") in both Latin America and Spain. In Brazil, it is named O Grande Dragão Branco ("The Great White Dragon").
- Dyeing for Your Art: The real Frank Dux was the fighting coordinator for this film. When Jean-Claude Van Damme was cast, Dux announced that Van Damme wasn't nearly in good enough shape, and put him through a three-month training program. Van Damme called those three months "the hardest training of his life" - this despite being a world-championship martial artist in his own right.
- Fake Nationality:
- Senzo Tanaka is played by Shanghai-born British-Chinese actor Roy Chiao.
- Saudi fighter Sadiq is played by the very clearly not-Arab Hong Kong actor Bernard Mariano.
- Old Shame: Why yes, "Bumbling Government Agent #2" is Oscar-winner Forest Whitaker.
- Star-Making Role: Jean-Claude Van Damme.
- Technology Marches On: Time was not kind to you, Karate Champ.
- What Could Have Been: Mortal Kombat was originally going to be a game based on this movie. Johnny Cage's look from MK1 was a clear homage to Van Damme's fight attire from this movie. Van Damme was even going to play Johnny Cage, but chose another video game movie instead...
Trivia / Bloodsport