- As mentioned under Jerkass Woobie, the fact that an eight-year-old feels this way is just devastating.Amanda: When is it gonna be my turn! W-W-Why doesn't a-anyone w-want me...
- And Selkie, the target of All of the Other Reindeer, gets her shirt stolen.
- Then there's the arc where we find out that Selkie's saliva is an irritant, which means she can't kiss her father's cheek without causing a rash.
- And Amanda pulled back into the lead with the revelation that her adoptive parents gave her back to the orphanage because their biological kids didn't get along with her. It also makes her earlier trashing of her GameKid Harsher in Hindsight, despite it already being quite depressing.Keisha: I thought you said it was a gift! Why'd you smash it?!Amanda: I don't care. People would rather adopt a fish than me. I just don't freakin' care.
- After being on the receiving end of a well-deserved "The Reason You Suck" Speech, Amanda initially reacts with anger before breaking down and wondering "...what's wrong with me?"
- Page 500 could make you Cry for the Devil, as the resident bully, Truck, has a Heel Realization after his misdeeds are finally proven. He genuinely didn't realize he was the "bad guy" in the situation.
- And 21 strips later, he's on the verge of tears after having had a sit-down with a psychiatrist, to the point that even Selkie feels (somewhat) sorry for him.Selkie's Good Angel: He looks all scrunchy faced and twisty. Like he's got a knife inside him going stab-stab-stab until his guts explode.
- And 21 strips later, he's on the verge of tears after having had a sit-down with a psychiatrist, to the point that even Selkie feels (somewhat) sorry for him.
- Page 610, after Amanda gets reclaimed by her birth mother and it is confirmed/revealed they aren't going to be adopted together, we see Keisha's reaction. The monologue from Amanda makes it worse: "Sorry she didn't want you! (distracted by excitement) I'm going to get all my own stuff, no more sharing! I get my own room, my own toys and dresses, and my own FRIKKEN MOM! And the best is, I don't gotta deal with any of the other stupid kids here anymore! Bye, Keisha!"
- Christmas Eve has Andi call her mother asking to bring Amanda over for Christmas proper. Amanda hears part of the conversation.Andi: So, uh... how long were you there?
Amanda: Grandma doesn't love me.
Andi: Okay, so... long enough. God...
- After a green beam is seen soaring into the sky from Lake Michigan, it's eventually revealed that the Sar'Teri ended the war... decisively, and the leader of the Clan declares that, effective immediately, they're the only ones welcome in Sar'noth, exiling all other clans from the Lake.
- This eventually leads to other Sarnothi children being integrated into Selkie's school, and the fourth panel is heartbreaking.
Tearjerker / Selkie