Selkie is an Australian fantasy film released in 2000, directed by Donald Crombie.
Jamie (Shimon Moore) is a typical teenager living the good life: a popular lad, he has a part-time job, is on the footy team and is the lead guitarist in a rock band. But all this is threatened when his mum (Celine O'Leary) announces that she has a new job as head scientist at a marine research base. Forced to uproot and move to a remote island, Jamie soon discovers that all is not as it seems. He begins to notice changes to his body - scales and webbed fingers - things beyond the explanation of teenage puberty. Changes which suggest that he is somehow connected to a legendary line of Selkies - a magical people from ancient Scotland who have the power to change into seals.
Selkie contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: Iona's reaction when Jamie is reported to have fallen into the sea and gone missing.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Iona has her moments, insisting on coming to the restaurant where Jamie works when she announces the move.
- Cursed with Awesome: Jamie.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Jamie's immediate reaction to his transformation and finding out his heritage. He comes to accept it by the end of the movie, backing out of a ritual that would have turned him permanently human.
- Involuntary Shapeshifter: Jamie is shown to transform, partly or in full, when in contact with water
- Jerkass: Brad, a fellow student who frequently mocks Sam about her story of being saved by a seal. Jamie helps Sam get him back by transforming to help her win a boat race - when Brad protests that she was helped by a seal, Sam reminds him that there are no seals around Jackson Island.
- Misplaced Wildlife: Invoked, since seals have never been sighted around Jackson Island, hence why people are skeptical of Sam's story.
- Rescue Romance: Jamie's first full transformation happens after he sees Samantha about to fall off a pier and dives in to save her. No one sees him and no one really believes Sam's story about being saved by a seal, but it's hinted later that she's figured out it was him.
- Selkies and Wereseals: Jamie, as well as an older woman named "Loopy" Laura.