Red and Blue Rescue Team
- The ending of Red/Blue Rescue Team had its sad notes, though not as bad as the following games.
- The ending had other characters besides just the partner getting upset at the hero leaving. It's a bit jarring to see Team ACT, who had been willing to hunt you down, getting sad over your disappearance.
- The scene where you have to flee town after Gengar claims you're the human from the Ninetales legend and the townspeople form a lynch mob to outright kill you and your partner may not be as sad as some of the Explorers scenes, but it still manages to be pretty touching. It's mainly because of how Caterpie, Diglett, and Jumpluff all show up to see you off and tell you that they still believe in you.
- During the commotion in Pokemon Square, your character is basically unsure if they are the human from the legend, due to their loss of memory. When questioned about it, you can basically say nothing in your defense. Then everyone who views you as a friend starts attacking you. (Lombre even quietly says "Forgive me, Player" before lashing at you.) Then when you run away from there, your partner angrily yells at you demanding why you never said anything. You basically have no other choice but to ask if they should split the team. The brokenhearted look on the partner's face says it all.
- A small one set after the ending of Red/Blue: You come back after disappearing, and your partner is so overjoyed to see you... and then a very short while later they basically tell you to stop hogging the position of leader and leaves for their friend area, never to talk to you again except for scripted events.
- The Fridge Horror implications that all come from Gengar being the human who abandoned Gardevoir; even then, Gengar himself soon realizes after some trials of escorting him to two certain locations, how selfish he was after all this time of forgetting about the Ninetales curse incident. The tears in Gengar's eyes as he just speaks out is enough to tell the tale during the cutscenes.
Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky
Gates to Infinity
Super Mystery Dungeon
- The fact that the player wants to stay in the Pokemon world forever or at least a long time in Pokemon Red and Blue Rescue Team and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, forgoing their life in the human world which means they would be leaving their family and friends wondering what the heck happened to them and having no answers. Either they don't care about their family or friends feelings or, even worse, their life in the human world was so bad they would rather stay in the Pokemon world then go back.