Yuya decides, that as a Duelist and as a member of the Lancers, that he would save Yuzu at all costs.
Reiji's mother - Himika announces to the whole city of the cancellation of the Maiami Championship tournament, as well as the fact that invaders from different dimensions do exist, and the Lancers are their defense force to take the fight to them. The city is flooded with well wishes for the chosen Lancers. Despite Yuya having made his resolution to fight, his mother Yoko, knowing fully well what her son is really thinking, challenges him to a Duel.
This episode contains examples of:
- Good Parents: While we knew Yoko and Shuzou were great parents, this episode really showed it. From Shuzou's angst and determination to save Yuzu. To Yoko's understanding of Yuya's angst and her attempt to help him through it.
- Hidden Depths: While it was foreshadowed that Yoko was more than she seemed, very few guessed that she was a former gang leader.
- It's All My Fault: Yuya blames himself for being unable to protect Yuzu.
- Loose Lips: Sawatari reveals the existence of the Lancers before Himika could.
- Meet Cute: Yusho and Yoko meet when he saves one of Yoko's friends and led her to duel for fun.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Himika, surprisingly is one. She revealed the existence of the Lancers and Academia to the WHOLE world and canceled the MSC.
- Rescue Romance: Variation. Yoko and Yusho Sasaki met when he stepped into a duel she was having with a rival delinquent gang in order to rescue one of the members of her own gang they were keeping hostage. He showed up and rescued the girl, all while entertaining the perpetrators and winning her heart.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Both Futoshi and Ayu call out Yuya for being unable to protect Yuzu.