The Magic School Bus Cold Feet
Liz is missing from the classroom! Phoebe and everyone frantically search, until they realize that Liz is at a "Herp Haven". To find her, they have to infiltrate as reptiles, and think how cold-blooded creatures survive.
- Baleful Polymorph: Most of the class, except Phoebe, Arnold and Dorothy Ann get turned into "their favorite reptile".
- Chekhov's Gun:
- The reptiles' meal plans; Phoebe gets an Oh, Crap! later on when she remembers that the gators are only fed once a month.
- The freezer room experience comes into play when Phoebe must drag the Bus-agator into a warmer environment to wake it up, ending its hibernation.
- Deadly Euphemism: Subverted with the reptiles getting "toasted and stuffed". Although the class assumes the worst, it actually refers to a reptile getting heated up and fed well.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Wanda tries to get access into Herp Haven by pretending she hit a baseball there. It doesn't work because "baseball bats" aren't allowed.
- Ding-Dong-Ditch Distraction: Phoebe knocks on the doors, hides behind a plant, and then sneaks right through the open doors when the guard is standing outside.
- Friendly Scheming: Partly unintended; Mrs. Frizzle wanted to tell the class what really happened to Liz, but seeing their reactions, she decided it would be better to play along and let them learn on their own.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: The Herp Haven director and worker catch Phoebe with an armful of reptiles, but are unable to find her when she hides in the outdoor area. Somewhat justified in that later on he recognizes that the class is with Ms. Frizzle.
- Hidden Purpose Test: Ms. Frizzle knew already about Liz, and took the class there so they could learn about cold-bloodedness.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Phoebe when she's caught with Liz and the class turned into reptiles.
- Arnold and DA when the Bus-agator starts to hibernate and won't start.
- Phoebe again when, just as she's gotten the Bus-agator to wake up, the real alligators and crocodiles start approaching.
- Something We Forgot: The class had left behind Liz's habitat when making their escape. Fortunately the Herp Haven director remembered and brought it to them.
- Somewhere, a Herpetologist Is Crying:
- The episode makes the usual mistake of giving alligators interlocking teeth like crocodiles.
- Not to mention that the forced hibernation the reptiles are put under could well have killed them and it's a miracle the class and Liz woke up at all.