Originally aired February 5, 2010
Written by Geoff Johns
Directed by Glen Winter (Part 1) & Tom Welling (Part 2)
Members of the Justice League and the Justice Society join forces to take on Icicle.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Animate Inanimate Object: The Helmet of Nabo, which looks directly at Clark when he uses his X-Ray Vision to see into Kent Nelson's bowling ball bag.
- Arch-Enemy: Doctor Fate states that Lex, who hasn't been seen since Season 8, will become Clark's "ultimate opponent."
- Avengers, Assemble!: The Justice League and the Justice Society band together to take on Icicle. This is actually what Waller was trying to accomplish all along.
- Badass Boast: Delivered by John Jones (whose powers are restored by Doctor Fate) to Icicle during the final battle in Watchtower:John Jones: I'm Mars' last survivor. There's a reason for that.
- The Caretaker: Carter, to Kent Nelson.
- Carry a Big Stick: Hawkman wields a mace.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Doctor Fate sacrifices his life to restore John Jones' powers.
- Legacy Character: Cameron Mahkent is the son of Joar Mahkent, the original Icicle.
- Order Reborn: In the final act, Carter announces his intentions to find the other members of the Justice Society as well as their proteges.
- The Paragon: Doctor Fate tells Clark that it is his destiny to become this to the current generation of superheroes.Doctor Fate: And when you show yourself to the world, it will be a different age than ours, Clark; a silver age of heroism that will start when they look up into the sky at you with hope for tomorrow. You will help everyone embrace it.
- Villain of the Week: Cameron Mahkent AKA Icicle