Originally aired January 29, 2010
Written by Jordan Hawley
Directed by Mairzee Almas
Oliver faces his past when Vordigan, his former mentor, comes to Metropolis and attacks Lois.
Tropes present in the episode:
- Archer Archetype: Vordigan, naturally since he used to be Oliver's mentor.
- Badass Normal: Vordigan has no powers, but that doesn't him any less dangerous.
- Beard of Evil: Vordigan sports one.
- Continuity Nod: Mia comes back from "Smallville S 09 E 06 Crossfire Crossfire."
- Evil Mentor: Vordigan was one to Oliver in the past.
- Evil Wears Black: Vordigan wears an all-black costume.
- Exactly What I Aimed At: Lois' assailant shot her with an arrow which missed any vital organs or arteries, a shot that Oliver recognized as designed to take down an enemy with minimal injury.
Chloe: Lucky for her this guy isn't exactly William Tell.
Oliver: No, this guy makes William Tell look like a summer camp archery coach.
- Expy: Vordigan is this of Merlyn the Dark Archer.
- Kill 'Em All: In the final act, Clark threatens to destroy Zod and the rest of the Kandorians after Zod speaks with Lois at the hospital.
- Mythology Gag: Mia wears red, contrasting to Oliver's green outfit. A reference to her hero identity in the comics, Speedy.
- Reflexive Response: Oliver doesn't react well when Mia sneak up on him and almost breaks her wind pipe by accident.
- Revenge by Proxy: Oliver thinks Vordigan is doing this by going after Lois.
- Shoo the Dog: Oliver tries to do this to Mia to keep her safe from Vordigan. Doesn't help.
- They Were Holding You Back: The secret society Oliver used to be part of believe in this. Their motto: "No lovers, no allies, no disciples." Vordigan is after Oliver's loved ones to enforce this.
- Villain of the Week: Vordigan.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Mia's dissapears from the show after this episode. She does appear again in the comics.
- Would Hit a Girl: Or, rather, shoot her with an arrow.