Directed by Dennis Smith
The team is forced to rely on information from questionable sources while trying to stop a criminal bent on stealing government secrets.
Tropes in this Episode:
- A Death in the Limelight: For Michelle Lee, as her role as the mole has been revealed. Michelle ends up dying in the end.
- Ambiguous Allegiance: Gibbs is asked if Michelle Lee should be hailed as a hero or a Villain. Gibbs takes some time to respond, and he says "Both".
- Bittersweet Ending: Ted Bankston was revealed to be the one who hired Michelle as The Mole and he gets killed. Michelle's daughter (who is actually her adopted younger sister is) rescued. But Michelle allowed herself to die so Bankston dies too, and Michelle's actual role in the whole scheme is not known, but Gibbs says that she is both a hero and a villain.
- Call-Back: Michelle asks McGee to understand what she's going through by reminding him what happened to his sister in the Season 4 episode "Twisted Sister".
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: Ted Bankston pretends to be someone else under coercion by "the Weatherman" before it's revealed that he himself is the Weatherman.
- First-Name Basis: Averted. Abby calls Director Vance by his name Leon, something he wasn't too pleased about.
- Foreshadowing: Michelle reminding McGee what his sister went through when she was a murder suspect in "Twisted Sister", giving the hint that Michelle's abducted daughter is actually her sister.
- I Have Your Daughter: Bankston had kidnapped Michelle's daughter, who is actually her adopted younger sister.
- Redemption Equals Death: Michelle allowed Gibbs to shoot her so he could shoot the culprit, Ted Bankston who kidnapped her daughter and made Lee the mole, knowing that her daughter (actually her younger adoptive sister) has been rescued by Tony and Ziva.
- Weight and Switch: Tony considers doing this to rescue Michelle's adoptive daughter/sister, even referencing Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Your Princess Is in Another Castle!: The team use the information that Abby gave to them about the whereabouts of Lee's daughter. They don't find her, but instead they find the dead body of one of her kidnappers.