After the Edge is ambushed by a group of Singetails, the Riders quickly take flight to ward them off, but are shocked when they get a closer look.
- Evil Counterpart: This episode introduces Krogan's Flyers, dragon hunters who have mounted a group of singetails using abusive methods with the express purpose of contending with the riders.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: Downplayed, as Hiccup and Astrid are spending the morning in a sparing session.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Snotlout points out that Hiccup and Astrid's indulging in each other is hurting the team's synchronicity.
- Pass the Popcorn: Tuffnut and Ruffnut are seen snacking while Astrid and Hiccup spar.
- Reality Ensues: Fishlegs tries to escape on Darkvarg, but Darkvarg understandably has trouble carrying a human when he's the size of a terrier dog.
- The Reveal: The end of the episode reveals what Hiccup has been working on this whole time: his own custom-made Dragon Eye.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Hiccup and Astrid's relationship has led them to become distracted from everything else, with Snotlout constantly complaining about it.
- Suddenly Always Knew That: Tuffnut and Ruffnut's quirk this episode is their know-how of relationships and the psychology behind them.
- Wham Episode: Not only do the Riders lose the Edge, but Viggo's entire goal was to take the Edge to regain the Dragon Eye.