It's up to Hiccup and Snotlout to rescue the other riders who have all been captured by Ryker and Dagur.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Just by watching them forge Gronckle Iron, Fishlegs figures out how to make it himself.
- Berserk Button: While Barf and Belch seem content in their captivity, they immediately fight back when Ruff is hurt by a Dragon Hunter.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Ruff manages to steal the cell key by pretending to beg her captors for mercy.
- Continuity Nod: Gronckle Iron makes a comeback and this time Fishlegs finds out the exact formula.
- FaceHeel Turn: Heather has joined both her brother and the Dragon Hunters.
- Foreshadowing: A couple moments have hints that something is up with Heather.
- Of the three times Heather and Astrid fight, only one is shown and it is rather lacking, the other two cut away as soon as Heather has closed Stormfly's cell door.
- Heather somehow manages to defeat Astrid in their first fight, Astrid says it was because she was unarmed, but the audience knows she had a spear, and Astrid had no problem taking Heather out with a broom later. Tuff points this out repeatedly.
- Heather stops Ryker from throwing one of the riders off the ship and later just before Astrid is shot with arrows, Heather knocks the bowmen away claiming Astrid is hers to fight.
- Heather would know exactly how well guarded Dragons Edge is, but apparently never bothers to correct Astrid's misinformation.
- Forgotten First Meeting: It seems the Screaming Death has forgotten about Hiccup helping it last time they met. Luckily its mother had not.
- Hidden Depths: Snotlout and Tuff know how to stitch.
- Improvised Armor: Hiccup and Snotlout use Screaming Death scales to protect their dragons from the hunters poison arrows.
- Unwanted Rescue: Ruff has trouble rescuing Barf and Belch because the Dragon Hunters are Fattening the Victim and massaging them with grease, with the end goal of selling their skin (but they don't realize).