A new enemy has appeared and his name is Ryker Grimborn, leader of a group of Dragon Hunters. He captures Stormfly and its up to Hiccup and crew to save her before its too late. Little do the Riders know, Ryker is in league with an old enemy and an old friend.
- Adult Fear: Once again Astrid is forced to deal with an intense trauma, this time having someone close to her kidnapped by people who plan to kill Stormfly or sell her to people who will.
- Agony of the Feet: Snotlout discovers the hunters special arrows by stepping on one.
- Bad Boss: The first action Ryker does onscreen is smash one of his men's face into a dragon cage, that is currently holding a pissed Nightmare.
- Big Damn Heroes: Hiccup finds Astrid just as she starts to drown.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with Astrid, Fishlegs, the twins, and their dragons all captured by the Dragon Hunters, and Hiccup and Snotlout are forced to retreat in order to come up with a plan to rescue them.
- Continuity Nod: The Reaper from last season comes back and it's owned by Ryker.
- Didn't Think This Through: Annoyed with Snotlout's bickering, Hookfang tries to light him on fire by snorting a small ember at him, that bounces off and causes a small fire that he makes worse when he panics and tries to put the fire out by blowing it out.
- Kryptonite Factor: Besides Dragon resistant metal cages, Ryker also has Dragon Root laced arrows, that can completely incapacitate most dragons in a single shot.
- Underestimating Badassery: Hiccup actually does this, having only faced enemies with little to no knowledge of dragons he didn't expect the Dragon Hunters to know that Gronckles are immune to the Dragon Root laced arrows.
- Unflinching Walk: Ryker has a habit of standing in the middle of barrages without moving a muscle.
- Villain Team-Up: Dagur has joined up with Ryker and his crew.
- Wham Episode: Not only is Ryker in league with Dagur, but Heather is with them too.