Basic Trope: Bad comebacks.
- Straight:Alice: [after Bob's attempt at making popcorn sets his house on fire] Bob, you're such a moron!
Bob: Well... you suck.
- Exaggerated: Alice gives Bob a poorly-written "The Reason You Suck" Speech that leaves him with plenty of opportunities for snappy comebacks. He misses them all and calls Alice a big meanie instead.
- Bob's comeback is lame, but so was Alice's insult.
- Bob hesitates for ten seconds before making a clever remark. Alice begrudgingly admits that it's a good comeback, but points out that it took too long.
- Justified: Bob is The Ditz — of course he can't think of a good comeback in a few seconds.
- Inverted: Bob has a snappy comeback to Alice's terrible attempt at an insult.
- Subverted: Bob hesitates a little before making an okay comeback.Alice: [after Bob's attempt at making popcorn sets his house on fire] Bob, you're such a moron!
Bob: Well... you... didn't even finish high school!
- Double Subverted: Bob's comeback seems okay, but then Alice explains why it doesn't work.Alice: Says the guy who got an F-- in every subject!
- Parodied: Not only is Bob's comeback lame, it makes no sense whatsoever.
- Zig Zagged:
- Bob doesn't try to make a comeback.
- Bob's comeback is all right, if not good.
- Enforced: The writer couldn't think of a good comeback either.
- Lampshaded:Alice: [after Bob's attempt at making popcorn sets his house on fire] Bob, you're such a moron!
Bob: Well... you... stink. I've got nothing.
- Exploited: Attack ads poke fun at the awful comebacks Senator Bob keeps making in heated debates.
- Defied: The only comeback Bob can think of is "Well... you suck", so he decides to shut up instead of saying it.
- Discussed: "Some people seem to have no idea what a comeback is supposed to be."
- Played For Laughs: Bob genuinely thinks "Well... you suck" was a good comeback.
Back to Lame Comeback