Childbirth is a Nouveau-Riot Grrrl Hardcore Punk band from Seattle, Washington, formed in 2013. It is comprised of members Julia Shapiro (guitar/vocals), Bree McKenna (bass/vocals), and Stacy Peck (drums/"cool mom"), all of whom are also members of other popular underground bands.
Their style consists of tight, Three Chords and the Truth-type punk ditties about various common female experiences—from cross-stitching to mansplaining tech bros to, you guessed it, childbirth. Their first-album single, "I Only Fucked You as a Joke", was named by Spin magazine as one of their top 100 songs of 2014.
- It's a Girl! (2014)
- Women's Rights (2015)
It's a Trope!
- Alternative Rock: They're all about zines, grassroots, and smokey Seattle bars.
- Companion Cube: In the music video for "Breast Coast (Hangin' Out)", the actress spends time with an inflatable white cutout of a person while the lyrics sing about how great her boyfriend is.
- Hardcore Punk: It's fast, concise, and overtly political.
- Institutional Apparel: The band traditionally performs in maternity gowns.
- Pregnancy Scare: One of the singer's concerns in "I Only Fucked You as a Joke" is that she might be pregnant now.I don't wanna have a kid!
- Riot Grrrl: Part of the 2010s revival of the genre. Comparisons can easily be made between their music and that of Bikini Kill, one of the first Riot Grrrl groups.
- Supergroup: Each of their original bands (Julia's Chastity Belt, Bree's Tacocat, and Stacy's Pony Time) was popular in Seattle's underground scene before the group's formation.
- Take That!: Many of their songs, such as "Tech Bro", which ridicules nerdy men who act entitled to female company.
- Visual Pun: The cover of their second album, Women's Rights, shows a woman's gloved right hand.