Dr. Shiina's Wildlife Encyclopedia (Original Title: Shiina-kun no Torikemo Hyakka) is a 2011 manga by Shiya Totsuki about aspiring zoology professor Shiina Ryo and his life in Faculty of Zoology at Yamasuso University.The story revolves in the daily life of Shiina as research assistant. How he works with wild and domestic animals and deal with their antics as well with his relationship with his co-workers and students. Prominently, with Hana Chitose, his childhood friend who has a poor health.
Dr. Shiina's Wildlife Encyclopedia contains examples of:
- The Ace: Shiina is a (presumably) straight-A student, always got anything done, is dedicated at taking care of Hana, and always keeps his living space tidy as well as a good chef on top of that.
- Ambiguously Gay / Ambiguously Bi: Shiina and Hana known each other for 20 years, and inseparable ever since. They lives separate from each other, but seen hanging out until late at night in each other's apartment, doing research together with Shiina doing housework in between that. There are also some gestures that are common between romantic couples, such Shiina prop his chin on Hana's head and Hana lean on Shiina's back.
- There is no mention of either both of them getting together with a girl throughout 20 years.
- When Namiki childhood friend, Elizabeth come visit him in campus, and shown in shorts and a top that showing her cleavage, unlike Mori and Minami, Shiina and Hana doesn't bat an eyelash. So does when she obviously flirts with Shiina.
- Shiina's main goal is related to Hana, to make him his first person he told about his breakthrough discovery.
- Butt-Monkey: Mori got poked fun as good-for-nothing by almost everyone in the cast.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: name any character with given name, and most likely they're a bishonen. Even older ones like Professor Genkai and Asuka
- Expy: In-Universe. Namiki's introduction involving the cast comparing him to Shiina.
- Megane: Shiina and Namiki
- Meganekko: Asuka's dead girlfriend and Genkai's younger sister, Naoko.
- Teen Genius: Namiki.
- Ditzy Genius: Downplayed. Hana have a childish and quirky streak, and most of the days forget to take care of himself, such as get himself some food and tidying up his room. Although, he's reliable in general. However, it's still come to surprise In-Universe that he's top of his class, and his thesis published in world-class science journal.
- Mori the Butt-Monkey is a Determinator.
- Ill Guy: Hana spends 18 years hospitalized. As an adult he still have severe asthma, and during the series, he often fainting (most of the time in Shiina's arm and doubles as Running Gag) due to anemia or not eating enough and also highly prone to motion sickness.
- Work Com: Work AND study com.