A picture book written by Colin Thompson which tells the story of an old cat who lived in a house in the middle of a war. His owners have gone missing and there are ghosts everywhere. Even when the war is over, his owners don't come back. Eventually, they come and only then does the cat remember his name, which is Oskar.
This work provides examples of:
- Barred from the Afterlife: Regarding the ghosts: "...there was no peace for them among the fallen plaster and broken glass..."
- I See Dead People: The cat can feel the ghosts and is able to see them too... if it's dark enough. His owner can also see them.
- I Will Wait for You: The cat stays in the area and waits for his owners to finally come.
- Mystery Arc: Where the cat's owners are and what is its name.
- No Name Given: The cat's name is not revealed until the end, as he no longer remembers it.
- Snow Means Death: During all the war scenes, everything is snowy and cold. When the townspeople return, it appears to be spring.
- The Voiceless: The cat never speaks or shares his thoughts.