An adventuring trio head out after The Crystal, seeking those who've stolen it from their employer. And they'd better hurry, 'cause there's more to the crystal and situation than meets the eye. An online short story by E. G. Castle, in a land of swords and sorcery.
The Crystal has examples of:
- The Big Guy: Rocky, a six foot tall, five foot wide troll. A Class 2.
- Card Sharp: Saern, both magically and not, apparently.
- Exact Words: When they get paid, they take the mayor at his exact words. He had said he'd pay half the worth of it to have it returned. What he didn't mention, and hoped they wouldn't figure out, was that it was a magically powerful crystal, worth more than he had implied. It doesn't work.
- Meaningful Name: Rocky, being a gray and craggy styled troll.
- Our Ghouls Are Creepier: At the end, a horde of these attacks the town.
- Plot Device: The crystal itself, being both the object the heroes need to acquire, as well as helping them later on in dealing with a horde of ghouls.
- You All Meet in an Inn: The narration at the beginning lampshades this trope, and the adventure does in fact start in an inn.