- "Only trust a man with power when he is wise enough not to want it."Tagline for The Never Hero
The Chronicles Of Jonathan Tibbs is a Science Fiction series written by T. Ellery Hodges. Currently, it consists of two volumes:
- The Never Hero, published Sep 12, 2014. T. Ellery Hodges' debut novel. In the 2015 Reader's Favorite book award contest, it was awarded an honorable mention in the category of Science Fiction.
- The Never Paradox, published Mar 23, 2017. In 2017, it was awarded a Bronze Metal for the category of YA Urban Fantasy.
The series focuses on the titular Jonathan Tibbs, an ordinary man drafted by an alien named Hayter to defend the world from interplanetary threats.
- Artificial Intelligence: One of Jonathan's only leads in The Never Paradox is an alien computer that's less than helpful.
- The Chooser of The One: Hayter, who stays out of the battles because his role is less replaceable than Jonathan's.
- Easy Amnesia: The instigating incident of The Never Paradox is Jon unable to recall the last moments of a recent confrontation, and convinced that it wasn't due to an accident.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Jonathan.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Jonathan didn't choose his role, is told that he'll be replaced if he dies, and doesn't even get honored for his service.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: All of Jonathan's battles take place in battlegrounds "outside of time", without a second passing from the view of anyone around him.