Cherry Ames was the heroine of a series of twenty-seven books (published between 1943 and 1968) by Helen Wells and Julie Campbell Tatham. After her initial training in Cherry Ames, Student Nurse and Cherry Ames, Senior Nurse, Cherry hopped from job to job, trying her hand at all kinds of nursing while finding and solving mysteries along the way.
The Cherry Ames series has examples of the following tropes:
- Dr. Jerk / Stern Teacher: Dr. Wiley initially comes off as a somewhat downplayed combination of these two in Student Nurse.
- Hospital Gurney Scene: Happens to Linda Royce in Student Nurse
- Hospital Hottie: Cherry is described as being quite attractive, as are many of the doctors she dates.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Averted, which lead to a sharp drop-off in readership.
- School Nurse: Cherry takes on this role in Boarding School Nurse.