The Changeling is a novel written by Victor Lavalle. It follows Apollo, a rare book collector, with a beautiful young wife and a kid on the way. Hes looking forward to being a father and to being a better father than his father ever was. But things take a turn not long after the baby is born.
The Changeling is a modern day horror/ dark fairy tale: think Grimms fairy tales before they were bowdlerised. Its at times frightening, funny, touching, and frustrating. It touches on the darkest parts of old stories and urban legends...old world ways and new technologies.
The Changeling contains examples of:
- Changeling Tale: Apollo's son Brian is replaced. When he digs up the grave, the body is just a pile of sticks and leaves.
- Child Eater: The troll eats children.
- Disappeared Dad: Apollo was raised by a single mother; his father disappeared when he was four.
- I Am Not My Father: Apollo is determined to be there for his son, unlike his own father who disappeared when Apollo was young.
- Meaningful Name: Apollo is named after a god associated with the sun, and ends up killing a troll; traditionally, one of the ways to kill a troll is by exposing them to sunlight, which turns them to stone.