Keeping the Moon (called Last Chance in the UK) is a 1999 young adult novel by Sarah Dessen.
Nicole "Colie" Sparks is unwillingly sent to spend the summer with her aunt, an eccentric artist, in the sleepy beach town of Colby. Insecure and out of her element, Colie is prepared to sulk all summer, but when she gets a waitressing job at the Last Chance Café, she befriends her new coworkers Isabel and Morgan. Over the course of the summer, they (along with the rest of the new friends Colie makes in Colby) help her gain self-confidence, and unlock her full potential.
This novel contains examples of:
- Alpha Bitch:
- Caroline Dawes.
- Bea Williamson is an adult version.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Mark, Morgan's fiancé.
- Eccentric Mentor: Aunt Mira for Colie and Norman.
- Formerly Fat: Colie and her mother.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Isabel and Morgan.
- Loony Friends Improve Your Personality: Aunt Mira and the employees at the Last Chance diner.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Isabel.
- Neat Freak: Morgan.
- Uptight Loves Wild: Morgan and Isabel are a platonic version.
- Your Cheating Heart: Morgan's fiancé.