Inside Out is a Young Adult book written by Maria V. Snyder.
Trella is a scrub of Inside, a low-class citizen whose sole expected duty is to scrub pipes in service to the Uppers of the society. And, for the most part, she does her job as all scrubs do.
But she's different in that she has a friend, Cog, and that she uses the pipes to sneak around and spy on Upper levels. And when Trella hears that the fabled Gateway to Outside may exist, she's enlisted to find evidence...and ends up kickstarting a revolution.
Its sequel is Outside In, which takes place sometime after the events of the first book. The sequel deals with the ramifications of what Outside properly means...and that things aren't quite as they seem out there.
These books contains examples of:
- Animal Motifs: Sheep show up a lot.
- Arc Words: Maximum damage.
- Big Bad: Lieutenant Commander Karla.
- Character Development: Trella starts out as selfish and becomes selfless throughout the books.
- Companion Cube: Zippy for Trella, Sheepy for Riley.
- The Dreaded: The Pop Cops and Chomper.
- The Dragon: Commander Vinco.
- Fantastic Racism: Between uppers and scrubs; this is enforced on both sides by the Pop Cops' propaganda.
- Lost Common Knowledge: Many things, but the lost fact that outer space is dangerous and has no air dooms Cog.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Trella takes it pretty badly when she realizes how selfish she's been.
- The Reveal: Outside is outer space.
- Sacrificial Lion: Cog.
- Thrown Out the Airlock: Happens to Cog, as they don't understand what outer space entails.
- Torture Technician: Vinco.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Why the scrubs and uppers haven't revolted yet.