A man who plays the Virtual Reality game Underworld of Armok is suddenly transported to a new world. Blithely accepting his new situation, he goes on to try to be a 'hero' in a dark fantasy world. He tries his best, but his perception of the world can be a bit...odd.
Can be found here.
This story provides examples of:
- Achievements in Ignorance: Castor the merchant seems to never get caught by assassins despite the fact that he moves like clockwork.
- Benevolent Boss: While willing to allow his creations to fall in battle, Alric seems to grow attached to many of his undead creations, giving several of them names. He programs them with several directions to keep them from discovery, or destruction. One of the Porian bosses seems to actually care when Alric disassembles his thugs.
- Blood Knight: After learning that combat is a way to get stronger, Alric dives in. He soon finds himself annoyed at how weak his opponents are, and seems to be wishing for more of a challenge.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Alric himself. Castor is a small merchant who talks to his horse, and in a world where altruism is seen as foolish he never hesitates to help others.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He is a necromancer, and has a fear aura. So far he has done nothing but help others; be it feed orphans, or help lumberjacks cut down trees to help repair the village. Hell almost the entire first ark he is taking care of an catatonic girl for nothing but a eel.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Literally Alric is Friendly lives in the neighborhood (village) and a Necromancer (only takes about 70 chapters).
- Fantastic Racism: Alric seems to hate elves. He doesn't really try to justify it either, and just sticks with his statement.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Alric pretty much disassembles his arm in order to give 2 liters of blood so that the rest of the villagers don't have to. Slightly averted when he recovers in several hours.
- Ill Girl: Ria, a young village girl is comatose with a disease that seems to be turning her into a demonic creature.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Alric consistently receives injuries that should kill, or horribly cripple, a normal person, and shrugs them off to everyone else's horror.
- Street Urchin:
- Tagalong Kid: Invoked by Alric. One of the girls that follows Rion.
- Technical Pacifist: Alric is willing to fight, but would rather be sure he has a real need to. Unless attacked he is willing to talk almost anything out.
- The Heretic: Due to Alric coming from a radically different background, and culture, he sees no reason to by into the very sacrificial and domineering religion of his starting country.
- The Mafia: The Poran seems to be some version of this.
- Unreliable Narrator: Other than the interlude chapters, Alric is our narrator, and what he doesn't always see the world the way others do.
- You and What Army?: Alric seems to be playing with this one, leaving the village a hidden army of undead.