Aeons' Gate series is a series of books by Sam Sykes following the adventures of Lenk, a silver-haired young man who hears voices in his head, and his Ragtag Bunch of Misfits, who are as follows: Denaos the treacherous thief, the peace-loving priestess Asper, the very young and arrogant mage Dreadalion, Kataria who is a female shict (a...feral elf, very aggressive and animalistic), and Gariath the dragonman who thinks that all other beings are cowards and beneath him. These group isn't a mercenary band, who atleast are well compensated for their troubles, but Adventurers, which means they take the lowliest and vilest of jobs in order to scrape by. And yet, they're all keeps the world from falling apart.
The books included are:
- Tome of the Undergates
- Black Halo
- The Skybound Sea
Lenk's and Friends adventure continues into another series that is titled Bring Down Heaven. The books included in that one are:
- The City Stained Red
- The Mortal Tally (coming soon)
This series provides examples of:
- Deadpan Snarker: Pretty much every character has pretty snide things to say about every other character. Denaous even makes a point of differentiating between being sarcastic and facetious.
- Draconic Humanoid: Gariath is this, and the strongest and most vicious warrior of the group.
- Tsundere: Kataria. And many others. Many.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Okay, so the leader is somewhat reasonable dude who hears a voice in his head, Kataria and Gariath are violent psychopaths that think Murder Is the Best Solution always all the time, Dreadaeleon is a Smug Snake pretentious wizard, Denaos is a thief who will leave you to as soon as it's convenient, and Asper is the nice girl who heals you, making her the weird one.
- Sniper Duel: Kataria and The Scarecrow in the battle in the souk in The City Stained Red
- Magical Society: The Venarium
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The clerk at the Venarium, presenting Dreadaeleon with a mountain of paperwork