The Prodigy is a 2019 horror film from director Nicholas McCarthy.
John and Sarah Bloom's (Peter Mooney and Taylor Schilling) eight-year-old son Miles (Jackson Robert Scott) is highly intelligent but also displays disturbing behavior. They discover that Miles is possessed by something evil...or someone.
Not to be confused with the band.
This film provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Edward Scarka, a serial killer whose soul is reincarnated into Miles's body when he is born.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Not only does Scarka manage to kill Margaret in Miles's body, but he has taken complete control of the boy's body, and the boy that used to be Miles is gone.
- Downer Ending: Scarka succeeds in killing his escaped target and he now has control over Miles's body. Sarah is killed as well, while John is most likely going to have permanent brain damage, if he even wakes up from his coma.
- Precision F-Strike: Miles whispers "Go fuck yourself" in his sleep.
- Slashed Throat: How Miles kills Tallulah the dog.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Before learning what is really going on with Miles, he does things like crush spiders for fun.
- Unfinished Business: Sarah thinks that killing Scarka's last victim will get his soul out of her son. She is incorrect.