The Prodigy is a 2019 horror film from director Nicholas McCarthy.
John and Sarah Bloom's (Peter Mooney and Taylor Schilling) eight-year-old son Miles (Jackson Robert Scott) is highly intelligent but also displays disturbing behavior. They discover that Miles is possessed by something evil...or someone.
Not to be confused with the band.
This film provides examples of:
- Batman Gambit: Sarah hopes that by killing Margret that Scarka will leave Miles's body, however, this is exactly what Scarka wanted.
- Big Bad: Edward Scarka, a serial killer whose soul is reincarnated into Miles's body when he is born.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Not only does Scarka manage to kill Margaret in Miles's body, but he has taken complete control of the boy's body, and the boy that used to be Miles is gone.
- The Chess Master: Scarka!Miles comes up with a plan to control Dr. Jacobson within minutes in his bathroom.
- Downer Ending: Scarka succeeds in killing his escaped target and he now has control over Miles's body. Sarah is killed as well, while John is most likely going to have permanent brain damage, if he even wakes up from his coma.
- Evil All Along: Judging by his speech to Sarah at the end, Scarka has been in control of Miles for a good 40 minutes of the movie, however, neither Sarah nor the audience know this until the last 3 minutes of the movie, where said speech was given.
- Male Frontal Nudity: The person shot at the beginning of the film note is naked when the cops shoot him dead.
- Mismatched Eyes: Miles has one blue eye and one hazel. Just like Scarka.
- Precision F-Strike: Miles whispers "Go fuck yourself" in his sleep.
- Slashed Throat: How Miles kills Tallulah the dog.
- That Man Is Dead: By the end of the movie, Scarka has completely overtaken Miles's body.Scarka!Miles: That night you promised that you would always love him (Miles)? That was the last time he ever spoke to you.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Before learning what is really going on with Miles, he does things like crush spiders for fun.
- Unfinished Business: Sarah thinks that killing Scarka's last victim will get his soul out of her son. She is incorrect.
- Wham Line: Sarah chases Miles down a field, hoping that Miles will answer her, but is greeted by this instead.Sarah: Miles?
- '''Scarka!Miles: It's too late.