"Mr. Parker, do you know what it's like to feel like God?"
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977)
- Adaptation Name Change: Edward Prendick is named "Andrew Braddock".
- Genetic Engineering Is the New Nuke: Replacing the surgical method of the original novel. A fairly early film to use genetic engineering and cell cultures.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The rampaging animal-men are largely killed in the climax by the fire they started and wild animals they unleashed attacking them.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Maria.
- Mercy Kill: One of the animal-men, a bull-man, begs Braddock to kill him so he doesn't have suffer in the House of Pain. He complies.
- Token Good Teammate: Mi'ling and the servant women are all beast folk, but never turn on the humans and aid in their escape.
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)
- Adaptation Name Change: Edward Prendick is named "Edward Douglas".
- And Some Other Stuff: Montgomery's description, about what he adds to the serum:Montgomery: I add a little methamphetamine, some morphine, some 'shrooms, and some other shit.
- Bilingual Bonus: The diploma for Moreau's Nobel prize is written in Swedish. It states that he got it for genetic manipulation, not for inventing velcro like Montgomery later tells Edward.
- Cat Girl: Aissa becomes one as her humanity starts to regress.
- Design Student's Orgasm: The opening credits, with a really fast montage of eyes, cells, and clouds.
- Humans Are Bastards: Douglas concludes this at the end of the film, reflecting on how cruel even unaltered humans can be, and says he "goes in fear" after the island. All this to a backdrop of riot scenes and similar events.
- Genetic Engineering Is the New Nuke: Replacing the surgical method of the original novel.
- Left the Background Music On: When Edward catches his first glimpse of Aissa, who is belly-dancing in the rain, "Nightbird" by Deep Forest begins playing in the background. Then when Aissa notices Edward watching her, she shuts off a nearby speaker, and the song stops playing.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Aissa.
- Mini Mook: Majai, who inspired both Mini-Me and the clone of Dr. Mephesto.
- Shock Collar: All Moreau's creations have an implant that induces pain by remote control.